The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The trouble with us men is trying to look ordinary, laid back and very chilled with plain t-shirts and worn out jeans. Then comes along a chap who has the same thing but way cooler. It might be Primark or a flea market but he has it coloured coordinated, got the fitting right and knows how to let it hang. And he probably paid the same affordable price.

Brighton is probably the place to see the best cheap ass casuals and some are themed on days gone by but still chic as hell.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I worked all my life in horticulture meaning the opportunity to wear decent clean clothes was limited. Since retiring I've enjoyed wearing quality, smart casual clothes most of the time. Mainly smart casual jeans and a collared shirt.

This thread sent me to count, I have 48 collared shirts in my wardrobe and more in the attic room which I didn't count. I make a point of going through all my shirts regularly to make sure they get worn. Clean shirt every other day. I do around 95% of the laundry in our house.

Finding and buying decent shorts for summer is very hard work.

The big change in my dress sense came five years ago when my son gave me 3 shirts I would never have dreamt of buying. He works in the fashion industry and wouldn't be seen dead with a father who looked daft.

Shortly after this I discovered I could wear skinny jeans at 67.

Giving up shopping M&S menswear is the best clothing thing I've ever done. I had no idea how bad it is.

The #1 thing though is if you feel good, you look good. That's what matters as it gives confidence.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I went through a fleece and cargo phase but my wife to be insisted on a change. Gap chinos, decent shirt and jumper, suede boots, blue sports jacket and a wool coat in winter. White cotton t shirt ( grey around the house).
I still utility it up on bike rides and for gardening/DIY.
The real bone of contention is my backpack. Not Permitted!

My wife (who dresses really well) quite likes a scruffy man, so I’m a lucky fella!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The trouble with us men is trying to look ordinary, laid back and very chilled with plain t-shirts and worn out jeans. Then comes along a chap who has the same thing but way cooler. It might be Primark or a flea market but he has it coloured coordinated, got the fitting right and knows how to let it hang. And he probably paid the same affordable price.

Brighton is probably the place to see the best cheap ass casuals and some are themed on days gone by but still chic as hell.
Nah not a fan of the "Man at Primark" look

Lee Cooper or 'Easy' Jeans for me............................Although I will admit To 'Brutus' baggy Denim in the 70's xx(xx(

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I’m a Levi’s, hoodie and Adidas kind of chap, I’ve dressed smartly for work for almost 40 years so I tend to be a bit of a scruff outside of work.

Complete opposite for my dad. Lifelong PE teacher and all round sportsman. Trainers and tracksuits are his work clothes. Day to day his attire is exceptional. Good shoes, shirts, waistcoats and an easy smile.

Gunk

Guru
Complete opposite for my dad. Lifelong PE teacher and all round sportsman. Trainers and tracksuits are his work clothes. Day to day his attire is exceptional. Good shoes, shirts, waistcoats and an easy smile.

My work clothes are smart chinos, suede loafers, jacket, shirt and tie. It’s interesting how we often tend to dress in a totally different way when we’re off duty.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I worked I wore a tweed jacket with shirt and slightly flamboyant tie with tan trousers and brown shoes. Sometimes I wore a kilt with green stockings, brown brogues and tweed jacket.
Now it is mostly Craghoppers with a Guernsey in winter or fleece with tee shirt and green cargo shorts in summer. Heavy shoes in winter and lighter ones in summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers guys - seems like we have a decent cross-section of tastes :smile:

I feel very much in a no-mans-land regarding clothes currently. I've never made much of an effort with how I dress and tend to be function-led; one of the reasons I love the combats is they'll hold loads of practical gear and are pretty versatile (the only time I don't wear them is for formal stuff; even for dirty work I wear old worn / knackered examples). At the last count I had 20 pairs having stocked up after my particular favourites were discontinued :whistle:

I've recently bought a couple of really nice (Mountain Equipment) technical fleeces which currently get worn daily by default as I absolutely love them; however I have to be careful as to what I'm doing since they were bloody expensive. Now I know I like the sizing, cut and quality of the brand (tried on everything else in the shop and these were by far the nicest) I'll keep an eye out for used / discounted stuff from them.

I want to dress smarter and objectively can see how a jacket and shirt or whatever makes me look "better" although at the same time I feel somewhat uncomfortable since it doesn't really feel like "me". I pushed the boat out recently and went out in a blue pinstripe suit jacket, light blue shirt and chinos; which felt good at the time but looking back at the photos made me look a bit like an estate agent.. still love the jacket though so will look to dial things back a bit with a more casual white linen shirt and some black jeans.

To an extent it's the same with the suits; it does wonders for my non-existant self-confidence to look in the mirror and like what I see; however realistically I'm unlikely to get many legit opportunities to wear one.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday OCD'ing my suits in an effort to better understand what fits me. I measured the pertinent dims of all and made some notes on how they fit me (along with my current measurements and weight). This has helped me decide what to keep (sadly it looks like the recently-acquired blue Italian pinstripe effort will be going as the fit's not great) as well as reinforce that what else I have fits me reasonably well and allow me to shop for stuff online with more confidence.

Having (to an extent) just cleared out my wardrobe I'm now going through my chest of drawers in an effort to get a better idea of what I have, and what can go to the charity shop. Problem is I can usually think of a reason to save everything :rolleyes:

Sorry for the doubtless boring ramble; I appreciate the ability to do so though as it helps square things in my head..

Last edited:
Top Bottom