The Merino thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Ok so there's been been quite allot of talk on winter clothing, shoes, keeping your neck and toes warm etc etc. Winter is coming and we will all need to keep warm.
As merino is such a versatile and unique fabric I think it deserves a thread of it own (I am aware of the pun).

Here is a list of Merino items I own and recommend as well as items I've found on tinterweb.
Feel free to add your own.

Howies L/S zip neck merino base layer - excellent with a long back for cycling
Chocolate fish merino socks - lovely
cheap tescos merino vneck - for those really cold days
Merino Buff - as mentioned in another thread

When weighing up what to buy and comparing prices have a look at the products and where the merino is sourced from, I believe the chinese stuff is not as good quality as the NZ stuff.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
you cant get them any more :rofl:

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
Has anyone had any experience with vintagevelo or woolistic. It seems that you can only order from vintagevelo and you have to pay $15 for shipping, even though it could get shipped from EU, plus you may get charged import duty if it comes from US. Woolistic is in Switserland so seems strange that they have no EU outlet even for web.
I wanted to buy a top from them but when contacting woolistic they seemed quite indiferent to the confusion the ordering, shipping, duty, returns were causing.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have one of these long sleeved tops from Divide and Conker. It's washed really well and is a good length, but I find it ever so slightly itchy.
I've also got a grey long-sleeved zip neck one but can't remember the make (will edit later). EDIT it's from North Face. One of my favourite items of clothing.

I've got a short sleeve fine Icebreaker T shirt that is outerwear for all but hottest weather. Also a long sleeved jumper, V neck, a bit girly that I can wear if I go away with limited pack room. Both can do well as under layer. I bought both in the sale from Blacks. I also have an Aldi zip neck top. That's thicker & not so fine quality but I'm sure does the job, as I bought it at the end of last season.

mr Mag00

rising member
i have one icebreaker top, used for skiing and cycling even too warm for me really and i have lightest weight they do. brilliant kit no smell!! although there is some news about the way the sheep are treated in NZ. some rather tasteless practice to avoid blowfly!

bikingtom

Merino - NZ sheep not mulesed

mr Mag00 said:
....there is some news about the way the sheep are treated in NZ. some rather tasteless practice to avoid blowfly!

No - it's Australia that practices "mulesing" as they call it. So if youre bothered avoid anything made with Australian merino (and that includes Tasmanian). New Zealand doesn't practice musling on their merinos sheep. I get my stuff from Chocolate Fish and its all made from New Zealand merino guaranteed from non-mulesed sheep.

To the guy who said their D&C top was itchy - sounds like its not made from the best quality merino. Never had a problem with my Chocfish gear. I used to wear Icebreaker but now their stuff is made in China its nowhere near the quality it was. Chocfish is the nearest thing to the old Icebreaker Ive found.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
bikingtom said:
No - it's Australia that practices "mulesing" as they call it. So if youre bothered avoid anything made with Australian merino (and that includes Tasmanian).

All mine's NZ anyway, but mulesing, unpleasant though it is, is not entirely gratuitous - it's a measure to prevent Fly Strike. And if you really want to see something unpleasant...

bikingtom said:
To the guy who said their D&C top was itchy - sounds like its not made from the best quality merino. Never had a problem with my Chocfish gear.

I do find my ChocFish ever so slightly itchy when you first put it on (I have sensitive skin, and it does feel slightly itchier than, say, cotton...), but it doesn't itch while it's on at all.

Highly recommended so far! Now to see if I can get through winter with just the thin base layers under other things or not...

While on the topic, I did get one of these (on sale, not at £69!) and cycled in in it the other day; and it was plenty warm enough and shared all the good characteristics of my Chocolate Fish Merino, except as it was slightly thicker I got too hot at work and kept rolling my sleeves up... (I was wearing it over a cotton vest thing so that might have contributed..).

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
SavageHoutkop said:
While on the topic, I did get one of these (on sale, not at £69!) and cycled in in it the other day;

for some reason I had in my mind you would be a roady type bloke, imagine my surprise when i clicked on the link :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a couple of howies merino stuff including a full zip layer which I love (though its boring black), and some long sleeved baselayers. I have to admit that I find merino itchy next to my skin - and quite like a bamboo top I bought other than the fact the sizing came out quite large.

Joe

Über Member
Icebreaker bodyfit 200 long sleeved base layer (Crewe cut)- awesome.Keeps you warm but also breathes. Wore it for weeks with no smell!

Endura Baa Baa merino tech jersey - Not bad, doesn't feel as smooth as the Icebreaker stuff and lacks rear pockets
Endura halycon short sleeved jersey - Not that impressed. Looks good but shrank vertically quite a bit and is now too short.

Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 boxers - Not worn yet, but feel high quality. Gonna be for sleeping in on tour.

Top Bottom