The Micro Car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting & fascinating thread.

I'd say that somewhere in the near future we may well see more 'tiny' cars on the market for obvious reasons. I'd rather see more innovation at this end of the market than the latest all singing and dancing supercars with even more horsepower.

Over the years we have progressively down sized our own cars (now singular) as our lifestyle has changed and tbh our little 1 Litre VW High up! is as nice to drive as the hefty German mile-munchers we used to have.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I think you're right spokey. Micro cars, more akin to personal transport pods, will be the future. Perhaps some of the wacky streamliners like that VW XL1 thing will become more common, albeit more sensibly priced.

Some of these enclosed and semi enclosed electric assisted bike things may become more common. Minimal pedalling effort, a fair degree of weather protection, cheap to run.

The era of the car as we know it is want g and will soon be gone. I pray for the day that driving a car with 4 empty seats and weighin cracking for for 2 tonnes becomes socially unacceptable.

Brains

Legendary Member
I had a serious look at one of these
Electric
2 people
Fine around town
And i think I could get on on the back on the Motorhome I want to buy prior to retirement
(in unfortunatly more years away than I can count at the moment)

upload_2018-8-1_23-9-27.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the re risk of being serious for a moment surely a motorcycle is a genuinely better bet compared to a micro car ? With panniers you can carry similar amount of luggage, and a passenger and you also gain the ability to squeeze throught traffic jams and, dare I say, high performance. There is also enjoyment in riding them. Downside is "getting ready time" of getting dressed up in all the gear. Price probably favours the bike slightly albeit running costa maybe a bit higher

Oldfentiger

Veteran
At the re risk of being serious for a moment surely a motorcycle is a genuinely better bet compared to a micro car ? With panniers you can carry similar amount of luggage, and a passenger and you also gain the ability to squeeze throught traffic jams and, dare I say, high performance. There is also enjoyment in riding them. Downside is "getting ready time" of getting dressed up in all the gear. Price probably favours the bike slightly albeit running costa maybe a bit higher
That's a viable argument with small capacity motorcycles. However, large capacity motorcycles are comparatively thirsty in my experience.
I don't recall getting better than 50mpg from the 1 litre bikes I've owned, even when ridden "sensibly".

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's a viable argument with small capacity motorcycles. However, large capacity motorcycles are comparatively thirsty in my experience.
I don't recall getting better than 50mpg from the 1 litre bikes I've owned, even when ridden "sensibly".

Running costs for bike likely higher - petrol, tyres, and servicing. I would buy a more sensible bike ideally, but wanted proper factory panniers which are only on the big bikes. After market panniers are a pain to fit as there's often nothing solid to fit em to. To be honest sensible bikes (other than small commuters) don't really get sold much. A symptom of what people want is you regularly see 5 year old bikes with 2000 miles on them. They are not being bought to be used, hence there is no incetive for the manufacturer to build a bike for use - eg better economy, better luggage, midling (but still plenty) of performance and so on.
Hey ho, that's commercial reality

edit: maybe there's a parallel in the comparitively low numbers of audax/light tourers sold - which are the ideal practical bike for transport. You mostly get racers (which I believe are now called road bikes) which are too high geared and lack pannier rack and mudguards, or ridiculous mountain bikes. Just to be clear, both are fine for racing / off-road respectively, but a poor option for normal leasure or travel

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Running costs for bike likely higher - petrol, tyres, and servicing. I would buy a more sensible bike ideally, but wanted proper factory panniers which are only on the big bikes. After market panniers are a pain to fit as there's often nothing solid to fit em to. To be honest sensible bikes (other than small commuters) don't really get sold much. A symptom of what people want is you regularly see 5 year old bikes with 2000 miles on them. They are not being bought to be used, hence there is no incetive for the manufacturer to build a bike for use - eg better economy, better luggage, midling (but still plenty) of performance and so on.
Hey ho, that's commercial reality

edit: maybe there's a parallel in the comparitively low numbers of audax/light tourers sold - which are the ideal practical bike for transport. You mostly get racers (which I believe are now called road bikes) which are too high geared and lack pannier rack and mudguards, or ridiculous mountain bikes. Just to be clear, both are fine for racing / off-road respectively, but a poor option for normal leasure or travel
55 mph all day and 120+mpg

10364d1375810449-charity-ride-mongolia-back-honda-2013-08-04-10.23.24.jpg

Best selling motorbike of all time, I've had a few including a couple of the normal bike 4speed with manual clutch options (C200-90 & CD90)

Top Bottom