The Micro Car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bizarre as it may sound, I think Drago might actually be onto something.

According to this fascinating FT article, although electric cars are more environmentally sound than petrol - taking the broadest possible lifetime view, which takes into account their higher manufacturing carbon footprint - the trend toward larger. more luxurious vehicles, with greater range, is limiting their benefits. It's got to the point where efficient small petrol cars actually have a lower lifetime carbon footprint than the latest Teslas.

Nico Meilhan, a Paris-based car analyst and energy expert at Frost & Sullivan, says regulators should not encourage this race to sell electric vehicles with bigger batteries. “It’s a race, but it’s a very stupid race. It’s not towards a good solution,” he says. “If you switch from oil to cobalt and lithium, you have not addressed any problem, you have just switched your problem.”

Instead, he says regulators should take weight into account by taxing heavier vehicles and creating incentives for smaller models in both electric and traditional vehicles. Mr Meilhan points out that petrol-engine cars weighing just 500kg — such as the French Ligier microcar or some popular “kei cars” in Japan — emit less lifecycle emissions than a mid-sized electric vehicle even when driven in France, where carbon-free nuclear power generates three-quarters of electricity.

“If we really cared about CO2,” he adds, “we’d reduce car size and weight.”

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an incredible conceit that with environmental concerns, health concerns, the ever rising cost of motoring, and congestion, that people still make excuses to drive around in a larger car than they need.

I know I'm a recent convert, having been a gleeful Discovery V8 and chip fat powered pick up driver, so I may admittedly be a zealot, but I'm sure I'm right. Most of us on this forum are halfway there by being cyclists and using bikes for genuine journeys as well as pleasure, they just need to take the next step.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's an incredible conceit that with environmental concerns, health concerns, the ever rising cost of motoring, and congestion, that people still make excuses to drive around in a larger car than they need.
Cycling down the road here in uber-trendy north London, past one bleedin' Chelsea tractor after another, I got to thinking 'I have no doubt whatsoever that all these people read the Guardian, live on lentils and muesli, and are so painfully right on even their friends find them damn near intolerable - so what happens to all that liberal sensibility when it comes to choosing their car?' No doubt they tell themselves it's for the safety of their children (sod everyone else's children), but I suspect it's actually more to do with status-focused willy-waving. Hypocrisy is never less endearing than when it's cloaking the world in greenhouse gases.

Nope, I think Drago's right. At least in the West I think we're going to see, over the next decade or so, a sea-change in attitudes to the car, to the point where it will be socially unacceptable to drive a gas-guzzler, in just the way drink-driving has over the course of my lifetime gone from being something 'everyone does' to something only the lowest of low-lifes would even contemplate. Proper micro-cars for the urban everyday; larger cars hired for holidays. V8s, it's been fun, but...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5338914, member: 9609"]
its like there is some sort of arms race out their with everyone wanting bigger faster cars to compete with people they don't know - we have a very strange relationship with our modes of transport.[/QUOTE]

Spot on - many folk spend money they don't have, to buy cars they can't afford, to impress people they don't know, all to the detriment of the environment, public health, congestion, and the economy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I did once drive one of these up the M1/M6 to Preston (where it was made).
280px-1951_Bond_Minicar_Deluxe_Tourer.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That, of course, isn't a BMW Isetta. It's a 200cc Sach-engined Messerchmitt. They also made a four-wheel version with a 500cc engine. It was apparently terrifyingly fast.

now if they made an electric version of this I'd be interested

I know it's a Messerschmitt, I've been in one a bloke on our street had when I was a youth.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
And micro cars can live happily with a cyclist as an owner....

View attachment 422375

This one is mine.
That looks very neat indeed. Is it something you knocked up yourself?

tyred

Legendary Member
Why do cars keep getting bigger when families have typically got smaller? I have always liked small cars, they are often the more interesting IMO.

This weekend, on a little cycling trip, at the hostel where I was staying, I met a couple who were touring in an original model VW Beetle and talked to him about it and for the first time in possibly twenty-five years and first time as an adult, I installed myself in the driving seat of a Beetle. What I found surprised me. From the outside, it seemed so tiny and in particular narrow in comparison to the modern cars in the car park, including modern "small" cars like the current model Renault Clio, yet once inside, I had enough space to be comfortable behind the wheel (I'm 5'11").

I left thinking that after all these years, this 1940s relic (okay I know VW was always tweaking it, this one dated from 1971) could offer space for four adults and a reasonable amount of luggage to travel at normal public road speeds in an acceptable level of comfort and refinement (despite having a clattering air-cooled motor stuck in the boot). The owner told me he was averaging 35MPG, not a great figure by today's standards but are any of the heavyweight trendy 4x4s doing any better? Even so, from a financial point of view, a Beetle with it's impeccable build quality and simple DIY friendly design may very well be cheaper to run overall when you avoid the hefty garage bills today's cars can create.

A quick google tells me the Beetle weighed in at around 820KG, and that is despite the old separate chassis design. With today's better engine designs and better understanding of aerodynamics, surely a car of the Beetle's size and weight and offering a similar acceptable level of performance to later 1500 and 1600cc Beetles (what do people do with all this extra performance apart from accelerate faster to the next set of traffic lights) could offer incredible fuel economy. VW surely had the chance to be truely innovative when designing the "new" Beetle, instead they managed to a build a less practical version of the Golf and charge more for it!

Last edited:
Likewise the Range Rover
I'd use the Mini, but it's too obvious a choice

RangeRoverVelar_crop.jpg retro%20ad%202.jpg 1970 Range Rover - Page 01 of 02.jpg

Of course, some even feel that a proper Rangie is too long...
(bob-tailed)
Land Rover. Range Rover. Bob-Tailed.jpg

Corsa & MIni
It might have been better with the original Corsa??

17352217_10211014491910523_191425977618715937_n.jpg

Standard 8(?) & Micra
The Stanard being a large family car of its era

Motoring. Standard. 10. URL 334.JPG

And it's why most cars now look pig ugly and lack the clean lines and elegance of older designs, such as -

View attachment 423004

MY father had the 2-door saloon version of that, & I learnt to drive in it (in between proper lessons)

Top Bottom