The Military Vehicle Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
@ozboz , the army isn’t greatly different apart from being smaller with much more work/MS to do and moving into a digital world it is a slow and painful process. Also the society the bods are recruited from has changed. Discipline isn’t often well received, even if deserved.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@Drago covered Ozboz's perceptions well already, OzBoz was in an armoured regiment who had attached REME support in the field and that's a very different concept to other types of units. He did well for support and that's uncommon.

I'm still waiting for OB's REME mate (Mark somebody?) to join the thread (Avengers, ASSEMBLE! 😄) to take my pants down and tell me I'm wrong (despite having well over 2 decades of driving shagged Land Rovers in the forces under my belt).

Forces Land Rovers are not a good, looked after vehicle. There might be exceptions, but good luck finding them.

ozboz

Guru
@Drago covered Ozboz's perceptions well already, OzBoz was in an armoured regiment who had attached REME support in the field and that's a very different concept to other types of units. He did well for support and that's uncommon.

I'm still waiting for OB's REME mate (Mark somebody?) to join the thread (Avengers, ASSEMBLE! 😄) to take my pants down and tell me I'm wrong (despite having well over 2 decades of driving shagged Land Rovers in the forces under my belt).

Forces Land Rovers are not a good, looked after vehicle. There might be exceptions, but good luck finding them.

mark isn’t t my mate , someone who I met once on a CC ride , he had served with Armoured Regts and that was a while ago , just as a matter of interest what branch of the sevices were you in ?

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Your other problem will be the insurance, my nephew was quoted £2,500 because it’s got an engine over 2 litres in size , the insurers couldn’t grasp that a Series 3 2.25 litre petrol would struggle to do 65mph down hill with a tail wind

True. He's not daft and wants to have my Peugeot Tepee for a bit first :blink: until the insurance costs become reasonable.

Advice taken on board, thanks to all. If he wants a Land Rover a standard one's probably better then.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall one RAF regiment landie that was almost all black. Whenever it started to look a bit scruffy the boss the adjutant would order them to get the brushes out and tidy it up. They couldn't find the green paint, and obtaining some would mean expending some slight effort, so they kept touching it up with black. It was regarded with admiration and affection by the rock apes at Catterick, but they still thrashed the arriss off it.

ozboz

Guru
I once bought a 73 ex RAF Lightweight, it had hardly any miles on it and the body was sweet as, that had a lot of paint on it though, I reckoned they just wanted to keep busy , !

Proto

Legendary Member
I need to dig some photos out. I worked at Alvis in the 80's, making the Scorpion and it's derivatives. Happy days.

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru

Get ouuta the way .......or have a really bad day !!

Top Bottom