The Military Vehicle Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
This combo was for sale at a local auction a couple of weeks ago.
50378F52-4AE3-4AA6-A437-889385364B5B.jpeg

Sunday 9th

Saw a Pinzgauer 6x6 yesterday

We were up at the Castle, in Edinburgh, in the area where the Tattoo takes place

One came up from The Royal Mile, & went to the barrier
Sadly l was at the wrong side of the ‘parade ground’ to take a photograph

It was a closed body/‘troop carrier’/etc

It looked very good indeed

Profpointy

Legendary Member
An Austin Champ has been on my 'like to have' list.
I worked with an ex-engineer who'd been in the invasion of Egypt. He had one that had had the governor removed and always insisted it was good for the 'ton'! He said they were so good the army couldn't afford them and so they went to Landrover for a cheaper alternative when they moved entirely off the Willys Jeeps from WW2.

I understand they could buy 3 landies for the cost of one Champ, and whatever minor advantages the Champ may or may not have had, it was not 3 times as good.

I do quite fancy a Champ though, and they're not silly money; that or a 101 landy, with the latter arguably somewhat more sensible

Of course, I'd really like a Stalwart or Saracen or maybe a big Scammell artillery tractor, but that's nearly as daft as a tracked vehicle,

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I understand they could buy 3 landies for the cost of one Champ, and whatever minor advantages the Champ may or may not have had, it was not 3 times as good.

I do quite fancy a Champ though, and they're not silly money; that or a 101 landy, with the latter arguably somewhat more sensible

Of course, I'd really like a Stalwart or Saracen or maybe a big Scammell artillery tractor, but that's nearly as daft as a tracked vehicle,
If I had the money, space and time I'd buy myself a CVRT Scimitar from a disposal sale before they're all snapped up by the Ukrainian army (or donated to them by MoD). Even allowing for the rosy glow of nostalgia, crewing one of these was by far the best fun I've had as a reservist. Of their successors, the RWMIK is just another Land Rover, and Jackal has proved problematic for many reasons.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If I had the money, space and time I'd buy myself a CVRT Scimitar from a disposal sale before they're all snapped up by the Ukrainian army (or donated to them by MoD). Even allowing for the rosy glow of nostalgia, crewing one of these was by far the best fun I've had as a reservist. Of their successors, the RWMIK is just another Land Rover, and Jackal has proved problematic for many reasons.

I too like the idea of the CVRT, but I'd go for the Spartan mini-APC version.

441659EB-7535-49A2-AD2B-FB7647069006.jpeg

Also saw a combat engineer tractor (armoured amphibious digger) on fleabay a while ago for a very reasonable £20k, especially since a new one was presumably a million quid or whatever Hey, a Vincent motorbike would be well over double that! And the CET would always be handy for a bit of landscape gardening, or getting about in the snow, or maybe for the zombie apocalypse.

84A45497-1EC6-4AE9-B363-A59738E94485.jpeg

Perhaps slightly more sensibly (or not), we did see a WW2 Bren Carrier driving round Penrith a few years back, which looked great fun. As a far less sophisticated thing than the modern vehicles, it probably wouldn't cost that much to run and maintain as these things go

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I too like the idea of the CVRT, but I'd go for the Spartan mini-APC version.

View attachment 685524

Also saw a combat engineer tractor (armoured amphibious digger) on fleabay a while ago for a very reasonable £20k, especially since a new one was presumably a million quid or whatever Hey, a Vincent motorbike would be well over double that! And the CET would always be handy for a bit of landscape gardening, or getting about in the snow, or maybe for the zombie apocalypse.

View attachment 685525

Perhaps slightly more sensibly (or not), we did see a WW2 Bren Carrier driving round Penrith a few years back, which looked great fun. As a far less sophisticated thing than the modern vehicles, it probably wouldn't cost that much to run and maintain as these things go

You could always hedge your bets and go for a Scimitar 2: half Spartan, half Scimitar - all Spartitar/Scimitan.

Scimitar 2.jpg

Friday 14th

Just picked up the present issue of LRM, due to the lovely Centaur being featured :wub:
‘Gulf’ petrol station
Saville Road
Castleford

I’ve seen one, in the metal, at Blanchards, over at Shiptonthorpe, a few years ago & they're very impressive

907D2DC7-1ECD-4883-966C-77380724D327.jpeg

3309384C-5D56-4EF4-B2B4-194C6D37B1D9.jpeg

You will find a few photographs, in the Old Photos section; https://pablanchard.co.uk/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeB1Y0oYkik

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We should have just bought the Bradley and savednthe Country and the military budget billions, but those in charge of our military procurement think they know better when 3 out of 4 times they actually don't.

Never actually seen a Bradley in the flesh. They pack a bit of a punch. A BAE product in latter years.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
We should have just bought the Bradley and savednthe Country and the military budget billions, but those in charge of our military procurement think they know better when 3 out of 4 times they actually don't.

Never actually seen a Bradley in the flesh. They pack a bit of a punch. A BAE product in latter years.

Bradley is essentially an American solution to the specification that gave us Warrior. Apart from some of the guided weapons variants, I'm not sure there was ever much to choose between them.

Top Bottom