The most invincible bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo

Clueless member
What bikes have you owned that have covered the most miles and required the least maintenance apart from the usual wear and tear?

arch684

Veteran
A raleigh medale i bought in 1983.It only gets used once a week in the spring/summer now

pawl

Legendary Member
A raleigh medale i bought in 1983.It only gets used once a week in the spring/summer now
Dawes Clansman
Benelux gears
Weiman
Frame recycled gas piping
27x11/4 tyres
This is the bike that got me into cycling.I even put fixed on and rode club timetrials
Real Jack of all trades

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Clausd butler competition.

Ridden for 20 years,,off road, on road, commuting, touring and in all that time I have replaced one block and chain, one shifter, a few cables, one chainring and two spokes.

Ps I assume we aren't counting tyres right?

OP
OP
Turbo

Turbo

Clueless member
Well mine is an old Peugeot from the early 90's. Owned it for about 5 years and its needed nothing apart from a set of tyres. Believe its still on all the original bearings.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive been donated two of those, one a drop bar and the other a flat bar version. Both were almost completely original and still going strong some 30 years later. I fettled them and paased them on via freegle or similar.
The 70 odd year old gardener at my previous company had an ancient 3 speed derailleur equipped Raleigh, 26x1.3/8 wheels, bar brakes , sky blue with huge mudguards...mostly original, still went like a good one. Ive never seen a 3 speed derailleur/freewheel before..or since. I suspect it was maybe a 1950s bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
My 1996 Alpinestars, still going strong as my winter mtb and trailer tow bike. Original paint, wheels, bearings, seat and grips. The original gruppo has gone, but only because I upgraded to a shiny STX-RC groupset, which is itself nearly as old as the bike.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Orange P7.... i think it's 20 this year. still got the original bars, grips, brake levers & gears* (bar the rear d.) and seatpost but the seat, wheels and crankset have been upgraded, nicked or replaced a number of times.

*STX-RC really was built to last!

andyfraser

Über Member
I had a Raleigh Winner that I got around 1984 (I don't remember exactly but I do remember that it was a bit big for me) that I used for over 5 years. I used it to get to school and then sixth form and even after I left school entirely. We went on long rides (around 60 miles) in the summer holidays and shorter rides at weekends and other times of the year. In short I was only off the bike to eat and sleep. When I replaced it it still had the original tyres, rims, cassette and chain and the wheels had only been in for truing a couple of times even though I thrashed them. I loved that bike.

Top Bottom