The most reliable car you ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
All, cars are a popular topic of late, so may as well continue the theme.

What's the most reliable car you ever had? For me it was a 1989 Proton 1.5. I checked the levels and pressures every week, and it just went on, and on, and on... the bonus was that it was comfortable, well equipped, practical, with no attempt whatsoever at pretension. Unfortunately, the British like being pretentious and the brand went to the wall in this country.

GM

Legendary Member
My Texas yellow 1973 VW Beetle 1303. Loved that car, wish still had it.

D

Deleted member 26715

2007 Toyota Rav4 bought with 93k on now got 135k in 6 years of ownership it's cost nothing apart from tyres brakes, starts first time, over 50 to gallon

Sharky

Guru
There are some cars I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these cars had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead, and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

Bianchi boy

Über Member
A 1996 "N" Reg, Mercedes 300 d saloon (w124) , Dark blue in colour and full beige leather interior it would cruise all day at 70 and return 50+ mpg, As a side note, Went on holiday to cyprus one year, taxi from airport was same model, speaking to the driver about how high the milage was on his taxi, it read 770,000klm, "oh no he said , this is second time around", So 1,770,000 klm`s :ohmy:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Believe it, or not, my 1988 Austin Maestro 1300. Bought in 1993 for £1100.
Owned it for 3 years and did about 50000 miles. Absolutely nothing went wrong on it and - try as I might - I couldn't kill it. Got £1100 for it in part ex for a Rover 820.
Now that was a different story entirely............

Freds Dad

Veteran
My 53 plate Honda CRV. I bought it 7 years ago when it had 127k on the clock and its now coming up to 170k. It starts every time without fail, carries bikes with ease and apart from tyres, brake pads etc nothing major has gone wrong it.

I do sometimes think of exchanging it but as I'll probably get around £500 if I'm lucky so I'll keep it until it becomes uneconomic to fix.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm a believer in treat a car with care, the way you drive it, and it will give you good service. The last car I had in the garage was a Morris Marina for siezed kingpins circa 1980. I havnt had a car in a garage since, no brake pads or discs fitted, nothing apart from an odd battery and tyres of course.since say 1980...
Marina, owned for maybe 2 years, kingpins sorted.
Opel Ascona, maybe 2 years, no problems.
Maestro, 1 year old when I brought it, ran it for 4 years, no problems. Mind it was rusting badly when I sold it.
Cavalier 1.6, maybe 3 years owned, no problems barring an exhaust which doesn't count.
2x Vectras, 1st one no problems for 3 or 4 years, second one did suffer a bit with management lights and I spent 250 on a throttle body that didn't solve it but the car always ran perfectly, just annoying lights coming up occasionally.
Focus, no problems but I sold it after 2 years, hated it.
2 x Astras, no problems with those.
Exhausts, batteries, 2x timing belt replacements...theres been nothing else in nearly 40 years of driving. Treat a car gently....

Brandane

Legendary Member
Absolute winner, by a country mile, was my Toyota Corolla, 2006 model with 1600 petrol engine. Bought with 20000 miles on clock in 2009, sold a few months ago with 110000 miles. Apart from routine maintenance, nothing went wrong.

I've previously owned numerous Volkswagen's and Vauxhall's, some good and some dogs, but the Toyota was by far the most reliable.

1996 MX-5 (Mk1 NA, with the pop-up headlights). 100,000 miles in 4 years of ownership without a hiccough. Compared to the MGB and Midget (1275 and 1500) that preceeded it the contrast was remarkable: all the fun of wind-in-the-hair motoring without a single Saturday afternoon with my head up its arse!

Then kids came along and it turned into a VW Polo...:blush:

Top Bottom