The most reliable car you ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I've not owned a car for 30 years or more but Mrs Colly has had a couple. She bought a new Daewoo Kalos Auto back in 2003 and ran it for 15 years. Never missed a beat in all that time. Now and again something would wear out but that was it. Not masses of miles for 15 years but last year she sold it and it had 98000 miles on, most of which was around town which can be hard on running gear etc.

Still looked good when she sold it.

20180527_123348.jpg

Hicky

Guru
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clini...he-volvo-v70-thats-been-to-the-moon-and-back/
I hope my D5 engined xc70 makes that milage.

The best car I’ve had was a Fabia VRS mk1 diesel version. It cost me pads n discs a cambelt and rear bushes in about 95k miles. Awesome on fuel too.

MarkF

Guru
I started driving in 1979 and have never had an unreliable car, I've never had a breakdown, nor a clutch fail, not even a puncture. I've had "rusty" cars and those have all been VAG cars.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clini...he-volvo-v70-thats-been-to-the-moon-and-back/
I hope my D5 engined xc70 makes that milage.

The best car I’ve had was a Fabia VRS mk1 diesel version. It cost me pads n discs a cambelt and rear bushes in about 95k miles. Awesome on fuel too.

The D5 motor are good for massive mileages if cared for. Volvo DPFs don't give grief like Ford or VW groups ones do either - Volvo seem to think it's a good idea to make them last as long as the car, so long as they're driven appropriately.

Which D5 motor do you have? The XC90 I've got coming is the 185 Geartronic.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All the cars I have had in the last 30 years have been reliable but never kept them more than 3 years. My present one is now 4 years old from new and I intend to keep it a while still. Apart from servicing, all I spent on it some far is a set of two new tyres at the front. The rear tyres are still original from new with 45000 miles so far. The car is a Renault Captur diesel, love it.

Hicky

Guru
The D5 motor are good for massive mileages if cared for. Volvo DPFs don't give grief like Ford or VW groups ones do either - Volvo seem to think it's a good idea to make them last as long as the car, so long as they're driven appropriately.

Which D5 motor do you have? The XC90 I've got coming is the 185 Geartronic.

I’ve got a 163bhp geartronic 5sp euro3 XC70. I wanted as late a none dpf engine as possible. It was an eBay accident...you know the cheeky bid which I ended up winning.
I treat it well and drive sensible so I hope it lasts until the kids are old enough not to wreck anything they look at. The car is rough but clean enough when washed and I paid a pittance for it. My mechanic(who’s a m8) basically said don’t get rid!
I had a 09 407SW which was a stunning car however the dpf system wasn’t fit for purpose so I wanted to avoid another.
Ms wants a Volvo as her xtrail although a cracking car drinks fuel. Xc90 is a nice vehicle!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I'm looking forward to getting it. Fortunately, I'm lucky (or unlucky) if I drive 1500 miles a year, so the fuel consumption won't be an issue. That said, the old feller reckons it'll pip into the low 40s at sensible speeds on a run, and low 30s overall.

Hicky

Guru
Errr, I’m not sure ref real world mpg, I got 58 computer and 49.5calculated on a run to Loch Ness at motorway speeds. I’d guess mid 30’s around town.
You’d probably get a touch less due to the extra weight.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats real MPG, not indicated. My Dad is as anal as I am with logging stuff like that. Knowing my Dad that'll be legal motorway speeds, not what most people hoon at.

I vaguely recall the one weekend I borrowed it to go over to France it was just under 40. I seem to recall being infuriated that no matter how I tried I couldn't get the display to trip beyond 39.7 or so.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
By the way, I forgot to mention that all the cars I had in the last 30 years were French as I always buy French cars. Not bad hey?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Captur is designed by a Dutchman, manufactured in Valladolid, which is in Spain, and powered by Nissan, who I'm pretty sure aren't French either. Aside from the horrific fake accents in the tv ads there's nothing French about it.

Top Bottom