The most reliable car you ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
The Captur is designed by a Dutchman, manufactured in Valladolid, which is in Spain, and powered by Nissan, who I'm pretty sure aren't French either. Aside from the horrific fake accents in the tv ads there's nothing French about it.

I'd rather be seen in the Daewoo Kalos.................in tracky bottoms.

MarkF

Guru
My current Toyota Avensis best by a fair way.

giphy.gif

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The Captur is designed by a Dutchman, manufactured in Valladolid, which is in Spain, and powered by Nissan, who I'm pretty sure aren't French either. Aside from the horrific fake accents in the tv ads there's nothing French about it.
I don't argue with your statement but Renault is still a French manufacturer with 41% shares in Nissan , the same can be said for Dacia which is owned by Renault but manufactured in Roumania. As for the engine, I would be inclined to believe it is a Renault design as French diesel engines ( Renault and Peugeot) are probably the best in the world. Ford used French diesel engines in their cars and so did Volvo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Renault may indeed be a French manufacturer, but there is no way the Captur could be described as a French car.

The diesel engine, K9K, is manufactured by Nissan in Turkey and India. I'm afraid that isnt French either.

The DV series to which you refer were indeed used by Ford, Volvo, and Mini, albeit with considerable detail changes. A good performer, but fragile in many different ways, it is not fondly thought of. The excellent French diesel engines you're thinking of were the original DW series and XuD from PSA, both of which are long extinct. It has been a decade now since the PSA could claim class leading diesel engines.

I'm not knocking the Captur, I'm sure it's a great car and if it suits you then that's excellent, but if you bought it out of a sense of patriotic pride then you've been diddled, unless your Dad is Spanish and your Mum from Turkey or India. The only French bit is the direction the profit heads.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I like the Captur, having driven a few and worked on more than a few I feel they are well out together, not a car that would suit my use but I would certainly have one for Pam, although it is more likely she will have an Audi A1 next.

gavroche

Renault may indeed be a French manufacturer, but there is no way the Captur could be described as a French car.

The diesel engine, K9K, is manufactured by Nissan in Turkey and India. I'm afraid that isnt French either.

The DV series to which you refer were indeed used by Ford, Volvo, and Mini, albeit with considerable detail changes. A good performer, but fragile in many different ways, it is not fondly thought of. The excellent French diesel engines you're thinking of were the original DW series and XuD from PSA, both of which are long extinct. It has been a decade now since the PSA could claim class leading diesel engines.

I'm not knocking the Captur, I'm sure it's a great car and if it suits you then that's excellent, but if you bought it out of a sense of patriotic pride then you've been diddled, unless your Dad is Spanish and your Mum from Turkey or India.
You obviously done some deep research on the car but ,equally, what you said about the Captur would apply to many other car manufacturers, as many share the same components nowadays and make their cars in other countries than their own for costs purposes. I am happy to think that my money went to Renault as a French manufacturer, same as when I bought Citroen and Peugeot in the past. I was aware that the car was made in Spain but that doesn't bother me as it keeps people employed, no matter where they are.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You could indeed apply it to numerous models. Thats why I don't make a big deal about patriotism with my motoring choices - BMWs and Porsches made in Finland, VW's and Mercs from Spain, Peugeots from the Czech Republic powered by Toyota engines assembled in Poland... it's all very messy.

If it's any consolation my German Smart is made in France, and to be fair it's almost as minty fresh as the day it emerged blinking into the French sunlight 15 years ago. I'll be sorry to say au revoir to it.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Not forgetting your Vauxhall is now French owned.

gavroche

That reminds me of my boss in the mid 70's. He bought a brand new Ford Granada then and didn't keep it for very long. As soon as he found out the car was made in Germany, he traded it for a Jaguar.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Nissan Micra K11 1.0 litre as a second car. Bought it with 55k for about 2 grand sold it for £250 with 130K on to my then sister in law. Everything mechanical was like new. Coming from Vauxhall's it was a revelation. I also had a P10 Primera eGT that was just as good. But I think the Micra was better as it had a small engine and was always driven fairly hard, because of it. Despite reading the comments above, I wouldn't buy a Nissan now, unless I won the lottery, then I'd get a GTR.

steven1988

Veteran
I've put 80000 miles on my 7 year old focus in 3 years, passed all 3 mots first time and only money i have spent has been servicing and Tyres.

tyred

Legendary Member
My Peugeot 205 1124cc. Now almost 220,000 miles, doesn't even burn any oil. In the 150-160 thousand I've put on it, the clutch release bearing collapsed once but it's never really needed anything else apart from wear and tear items. Even all the electrics still work (not that there are many).

In the 12 or so years I've had it, I've had so many people who love to tell me that French cars are scrap but they are always forking out huge bills to fix their "high quality" German things. I just keep driving and enjoying my razor sharp steering and magic carpet ride quality.

Sadly rust is setting in and I suppose all good things must come to an end soon:cry:

Top Bottom