The most reliable car you ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
1995 Saturn Wagon SW1 petrol engine (well, estate in Brit speak). Saturn was a General Motors venture that has since gone the way of the Dodo.

Bought brand new, it got to 170K miles (or it could have been 180K, can't remember). I know I bought multiples of new tyres and brakes, and did replace the alternator and battery and an insurance claim on the windshield, but that was it. It never let me down, and I drove all over New England and to Niagara Falls and back in it. Excluding the tyres and brakes, I think the alternator and battery came to around 200 quid, which I reckon isn't bad for that mileage and the reliability I got. In fact I only replaced the alternator because I replaced the battery about 8-9 years in and read it was a good idea.

Why did I get rid of it after about 12-13 years? The exhaust was going and estimate was around 500 quid. I realized I couldn't spend that much on a car that was that old with high mileage -I mean how much longer could it go on? The thing was super reliable and never failed even when I got rid of it!

I subsequently went out and bought the saloon version made in the same year that was owned by a little old lady in Texas who'd only put 33K miles on it. I paid about 2,000 quid for that, and it also gave similarly great service for another 9-10 years, so no regrets!

Reactions: gbb

kapelmuur

Veteran
Tempting fate, but in 52 years I’ve never had a car breakdown and I must have had around 30 cars in that time.

My first in 1967 was an 11 year old Morris Minor which I used to drive from my parents in Shrewsbury to my girlfriend in Bournemouth!

My last 5 cars have been Skoda Octavias which have been excellent.

PK99

Legendary Member
K reg (1992) Vauxhall Viva merit estate, affectionally known as "The Truck". Combined second car and plant/landscaping transport. Bought 1993/4. Scrapped circa 2013 after minor prang when kids were grown and no longer needed for Garden trade. Apart from one minor electrics problem when fairly new, 100% reliable throughout the 20 years.

Reactions: gbb

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not so sure about the sellers description- "smells of pith and cabbage, hence low price." ;)

I bet they haven't fixed that slow puncture on the front driver's side wheel I told them about. :rolleyes: Yes, i could've attempted to sell it myself, but I just didn't want the hassle of time wasters burning my fuel up and quibbling over this and that. :thumbsdown:

Slick

Guru
He's gone got himself a racy little number to impress the local lasses.
A couple of handbrake turns and he'll have them eating out the palms of his hands.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
See, Accy has thought this through. The Mini suggests he is racy and daring, bit the diesel engine suggests he is careful and wise with his money. He should have no trouble attracting a mate in a car like that, jammy sod.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Eh, Yellow?

Sounds nice, enjoy the new mini. :okay:
It's almost like this, but it has a yellow and black chequered roof.
mini-cooper-s-photo-6297-s-original.jpg

Top Bottom