The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Your right, The weather looks pretty horrendous for tomorrow. Its a big "if" but starting from tomorrow im going to get a few miles in after work. All depends on the weather of course but it's its a shame to lose my fitness I've gained over the last 12 months just because of low motivation
I don't know which part of Wales you are but I am in the Llandudno area and I try to go out at least once a week for 10 to 20 miles, weather depending of course. So far this year, I have done 3 rides , all under 20 miles.

I haven't ridden for three months. A combination of illness, which caused the original stoppage, but then due to a depression-linked apathy.

This morning the forecast was dry for the morning followed by heavy rain and wind later. I was tempted to do my usual and turn over for a lie-in, but then decided I had to get up and do something positive. I went for a short ride of about 18 miles, and even got soaked on the way back, but loved it ^_^ (even though I had to pump up the tyres first).

I am determined not to slip back into my state of ennui.....as long as I'm not aching too much tomorrow.

postman

Legendary Member
I have not had a proper ride since August.Bad weather and other things got in the way.Don't beat yourself up,i am feeling that way myself.I actually told someone in church that i feel like a glass that is empty at the moment.People have come along and asked,Bob can you,and i keep saying yes.And the end, the year flashed past.So soon as the weather improves and i will top up that empty feeling by getting out.

Its that time of year were i really struggle to get out on the bike.
The cold weather, not feeling 100% with the dreaded lurgy and dark evenings after work all add up, to not cycling as much as i should.
I can feel my jeans getting tighter around the waist as my bike rides have taken a hit lol.
Really looking forward and can't wait for the weather to change for the better and for the clocks to change again. I still see plenty of die hard cyclists out though in all weather's
battling against the elements.
The next few weeks ive really got to reboot my mindset and get back into a routine again with my cycling before my six chins and five bellies return :=))))))
Today is a prime example...filthy outside with that added nightmare of strong winds. So not going to happen even though i have a rare monday off work.
Plenty of much nicer cycling days ahead!

The lurgy, fair enough. No point torturing yourself if you're not feeling chipper.

As for the rest of it, thismis the UK, 51+ degrees north. Always has been since we were kids, grew up with it. The other excuses are just hokum - get shot of the germs then go for a nice cleansing ride.
I do find my 'weather window' got compromised when i moved from Dorset to Cheshire. I may be in the Northern Powerhouse now (as opposed to the Southern Weedyshed?) but i would guess at a 20%* drop in rides over the winter period.
*includes a getting older/lazyness factor + 'pie intake coefficient'

Top Bottom