The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've owned no other vehicles since 1985 when I sold my last motorbike. (Oh and I detest busses)
I would do the same if not a musician, weather or not. Even then, living where I do, more than one upright bike is impossible.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Me too, I had a cold just after the new year that has left me physically & mentally shattered. Every day I wake up feeling like I need another 4hrs sleep.

I haven't ridden my bike this year.

3 rides so far this year, all short (50km ish) no chance during the week although the evening light is extending quite noticeably in the last week. Switched from early mornings to afternoons at the weekend when the day has warmed up a bit. It was -2º at 8am yesterday so i was happy not to be going out in that, 6º in the afternoon and perfect for a couple of hours on a dry road.

Can't imagine i can make more than 100km a week though like this, need some longer time slots and some sunny days.

Smudge

Veteran
Really the only reason I dont ride much in the winter, is because i just dont enjoy riding in wind and rain. Cycling has to be enjoyable for me to do it, and as i'm only a leisure cyclist i can pick and choose as and when.
More of an issue to me, is high summer heat, even more so now with the heatwaves that are becoming more frequent every summer now. This isn't just not enjoyable for me, but seriously affects certain health issues i have.
I sometimes wonder why i persevere with unassisted bikes and maybe should just stick to ebikes. But its hard to quit them completely.

12boy

Guru
Ridden about 70 miles this year at a 15 mile average for 4 trips. Usually below freezing and wind around 15-20 mph. Some snow and ice to slow me down even further, and some days couldn't crack 9 mph, mostly due to wind. Still, better than nothing, I suppose. I would hope the tailwind part would counter the slowness of the headwind part but it doesn't, for me at least.

I’ve already wiped out on a tree root, that sort of thing doesn’t exactly help with motivation either. So I’ve just entered the 2020 PRLS, on the club 200 ticket. I’ve also got a cross Europe bike trip coming up in June, so as soon as my injuries allow, I’ll get back on it:okay:. Winter miles = summer smiles (supposedly).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I’ve already wiped out on a tree root, that sort of thing doesn’t exactly help with motivation either. So I’ve just entered the 2020 PRLS, on the club 200 ticket. I’ve also got a cross Europe bike trip coming up in June, so as soon as my injuries allow, I’ll get back on it :okay:. Winter miles = summer smiles (supposedly).
It can be true - I thrashed myself doing turbo trainer 'miles' one winter and had my fittest summer ever following that. A mate of mine, however, overdid his winter/spring miles and had burned out by the summer. It took him 3 months to get back to a reasonable level.

It can be true - I thrashed myself doing turbo trainer 'miles' one winter and had my fittest summer ever following that. A mate of mine, however, overdid his winter/spring miles and had burned out by the summer. It took him 3 months to get back to a reasonable level.
Yep, that’s about right. It’s all about perspective. Overdo the early year miles, and you’ll likely pay for it later in the year. In the years when I was doing long distances, I went out hard, early, and I was absolutely hanging by the middle of September, the last few months were torture.

I really want to go out on the bike, I really do...

But I've been struggling with sinusitis (viral, not bacterial) since the end of November, and I just feel so bloomin' ghastly. Still getting some exercise as the heating needs to be fed (sawing, splitting and hauling logs), but I'm getting somewhat down because I'm too unwell to even try and go out for a ride. :sad:

Sharky

Guru
How many of you unmotivated cyclists are also not members of a club?

At times, my mileage has dropped, but have always remained a club member. There are always group rides and events being organised that encourages you to get on the bike again.

How many of you unmotivated cyclists are also not members of a club?

At times, my mileage has dropped, but have always remained a club member. There are always group rides and events being organised that encourages you to get on the bike again.

You may have a point.

But I have never enjoyed group rides the few times I have done them, and I wouldn't want to join a club bad enough to accept someone of my ability as a member.;)

Top Bottom