The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No such thing as 'bad weather' only the wrong clothes :angel:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you are still getting the lurgy then a few days off the bike will probably be more beneficial, i have been riding through a bad dose of man flu and TBH its not helped.Had to take the weekend off the bike and i think its done me more good overall .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As others have suggested the answer is to avoid excuses and the easy option of staying in. I always enjoy myself when out, it's a question of remembering this when the devil on the shoulder whispers in the ear.

I've set myself a 7500 target this year and need to achieve at least 144 miles/week. I'm about 80 ahead of schedule and I'm determined to keep it going.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't mind the cold. The right clothing can fix that.
I don't mind the wet. The right clothing can fix that.
But both together? Feck off!
And that's why I've done but 2 friggin rides since before Christmas and both involved being tethered to the doggie, so not high mileage rides.
I'm due to fix that Friday night though as I'm off bike camping. So I'll be cold and wet for some considerable time.
I really need to get my head checked...

Drago

Legendary Member
The lurgy, fair enough. No point torturing yourself if you're not feeling chipper.

As for the rest of it, thismis the UK, 51+ degrees north. Always has been since we were kids, grew up with it. The other excuses are just hokum - get shot of the germs then go for a nice cleansing ride.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've had the best start to the year thanks to Zwift and a new turbo trainer. No problems with weather! Might this be an option for the OP?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I haven't ridden since the start of December. Been hit with the lurgy and a bad chest the last 6 weeks. Hope to hit the turbo later this week and see how it goes. My chest has been that bad, trouble breathing, and any exertion causing coughing fits. Im away and we've managed to walk around 7 miles each day for the last 5 days, so a start.

Mrs M

Guru
I’m on a long weekend to get out on the bike.
Still recovering from lurgy so not been out yet :blush:
Dry today but blowing a hoolie :angry:
Still, with all the weight I’ve put on plus aboard the semi fat bike might be ok and not get blown away! ^_^:bicycle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Got out on the bike yesterday for a proper ride for the first time in months. I often have a low mojo period in the last months of the year. If you don’t have cyclebuddies to drag you out it’s difficult. Don’t despair, it returns....the mornings are lightening and the evenings will start notably drawing-out.
I’ve been having a go at Jogging as an alternative to keep some kind of winter fitness. Parkrun is a good motivator for that.
Fret not.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've done about 110 miles this year. The weather so far has been so much better than the back end of 2019 which helps. Just get out and do whatever you can even if it's 5 miles :okay: I mostly work at home so go out at lunchtime if able, 8-10 miles done and no need to ride in dark/cold/rush hour traffic. That's a perfectly decent ride for me :smile:
I'm also going to gym a few times a week (I've discovered the Skillmill, an instrument of torture for those of us unable to run on a treadmill!)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Going out on your bike isn't compulsory. If you don't want to go then don't. It's supposed to be a pleasure and if it isn't then don't. If you don't feel well then don't.

Go for a walk Instead, or do something that you like doing. When the better weather arrives you will probably feel the urge to get on your bike again, then do. But most of all, just enjoy. :okay:

Top Bottom