The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
What ever you decide to do though Accy don't fret over it. Car's nowadays are pain in the back side to work on and trying to understand them is at best mind boggling. I know a bit about them but with how complicated they are I've got RAC cover with mine. As i live rural and my work is some miles away from home its a good piece of mind to have for £10 a month. Luckily the old iron chariot has been totally reliable over the years

johnnyb47

Guru
If you're in no rush have a look round for one. Personally Varta or Bosch would be for me every time but im sure there are plenty of other good ones out there to.

johnnyb47

Guru
Tell him you want a Varta / Bosch and get him thinking you know a thing or two. Check up the prices on the Internet first so you can compare his prices against online. If you show him that you now "whats" what he knows he can't pull the wool over your eyes. I've done this in the past so many times when in reality i know nothing.
A good example was a few years back. The maf sensor on my car had failed. If i would of asked for the bosch sensor for my specific car he would of been quite happy to of relived me of £145. Instead though i ask for a maf sensor for a diesel Freelander
.. Exactly the same part as my car but at the time a fraction of the price.
Right enough of my ramblings. Time for bed. 5 o'clock start tomorrow at work buddy

johnnyb47

Guru
Another thing to bear in mind with battery's is that if you buy one from the shop the chances are it's been sitting on the self for a long time which is no good for them. If you get one, check the manufacturer production date is not to long. Getting one directly from a garage or manufacturer will be the better option as hopefully they will be not to old

FYI Accy, if you ever need to jump start your car be VERY careful. A guy I used to work with had a BMW Mini Clubman diesel, and he had to jump start it due to a flat battery, but in the process managed to cook the ECU! It's easily done apparently.
He had to get a new ECU, keys, locks, ignition etc, etc, etc, very costly even though he bought them used and fitted them himself, but then still needed some electrickery done by an auto spark as well. If he'd gone through a garage with new parts it would technically have been a write off due to the costs.
Breakdown cover isn't very much in the scheme of things, I got Green Flag that does just about everything and it cost me less than the price of the battery I had to buy a few weeks ago, worth it's weight in gold IMO.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
FFS, Accy. Mrs SJ's battery went last year, one hour and fifty quid later it had a new battery and was as right as rain. You've been faffing about for one month and eleven pages and still haven't done the bleeding obvious.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Another thing to bear in mind with battery's is that if you buy one from the shop the chances are it's been sitting on the self for a long time which is no good for them. If you get one, check the manufacturer production date is not to long. Getting one directly from a garage or manufacturer will be the better option as hopefully they will be not to old
I'm going to have another cup of coffee then wander across the road to ask the bloke at the MOT place if he has a battery or can get me one asap. On seeing me he'll probably think i've come to complain about him parking his customer's cars here there and everywhere. If he takes the piss i'll ask at the local car accessory shop. If they seem to have only cheapo batteries i'll order one online.
I've seen this for £64.34 and free delivery within 3 working days,so if i order it later today it should be here by Friday at the latest.

• 61MB7DtBYFL._AC_SX425_.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have one pint. If i'm correct,that's allowed by law.

Just one pint has an effect on your ability to drive, even if it's not to a degree you are aware of. A recent study by researchers at the University of Sussex suggests that people can be 'siginificantly compromised' by small amounts of alcohol under the current drink-drive limit in England & Wales, which is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood.

(The limit in Scotland is much lower, at 50 mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.)

And don't forget, it's possible to be under the stated limit but still be impaired and therefore liable to prosecution.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just one pint has an effect on your ability to drive, even if it's not to a degree you are aware of. A recent study by researchers at the University of Sussex suggests that people can be 'siginificantly compromised' by small amounts of alcohol under the current drink-drive limit in England & Wales, which is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood.

(The limit in Scotland is much lower, at 50 mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.)

And don't forget, it's possible to be under the stated limit but still be impaired and therefore liable to prosecution.
Come down here and stand by the roadside next to where i live. It's one of three roads leading into and out of this town. The speed limit is 30mph(20 mph at certain times of the day). There's a primary school up the road. There are the usual flashing yellow lights to warn motorists that children are about. I've seen farkwit boy racers,though some look like they're in their 40's and 50's speeding towards those lights in their knobhead mobiles at i'd say 40 even 50mph. I've enquired about speed humps and bumps but was told that they'd slow the traffic down too much at 'rush hour' time. If you want to get mad,get mad about that, not me having one pint of 3.2% mild and driving home at 25mph in the 30mph zones on my way home.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Come down here and stand by the roadside next to where i live. It's one of three roads leading into and out of this town. The speed limit is 30mph(20 mph at certain times of the day). There's a primary school up the road. There are the usual flashing yellow lights to warn motorists that children are about. I've seen farkwit boy racers,though some look like they're in their 40's and 50's speeding towards those lights in their knobhead mobiles at i'd say 40 even 50mph. I've enquired about speed humps and bumps but was told that they'd slow the traffic down too much at 'rush hour' time. If you want to get mad,get mad about that, not me having one pint of 3.2% mild and driving home at 25mph in the 30mph zones on my way home.

Who's mad?

You're adding risk to your use of a car and I've explained why.

Top Bottom