The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Switch the headlamps on before commencing the task. It absorbs any sudden voltage spikes which protects the ECU from damage during the change.

Remove all rings etc before embarking on the battery change journey, and be careful not to short the terminals with your spanner.

The car may or mat not feel a bit lumpy to drive for 5 or 10 miles as the ECU may (or mat not, depends how it is set up) reverts to its base settings and it takes a short while to relearn.

And, as mentioned above, make a note of your radio code if it has one.

Dispose of the old one responsibly...in the garden of Dirty Gerty from Flat Number 30 :okay:

Switch the headlamps on before commencing the task. It absorbs any sudden voltage spikes which protects the ECU from damage during the change.

Remove all rings etc before embarking on the battery change journey, and be careful not to short the terminals with your spanner.

The car may or mat not feel a bit lumpy to drive for 5 or 10 miles as the ECU may (or mat not, depends how it is set up) reverts to its base settings and it takes a short while to relearn.

And, as mentioned above, make a note of your radio code if it has one.

Dispose of the old one responsibly...in the garden of Dirty Gerty from Flat Number 30 :okay:
You can get some money back from your old battery from a scrap yard . £7.00 to £10.00 or so depending on size .

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It shouldn't!

There are things to be careful about but follow the steps and it really is simple. You'll have two bolts to undo/refit (three if there's some sort of retaining clamp) and that's it. Pay attention to the refitting sequence and you'll be fine.

Think about the money you'll save not paying someone else to fit it.
That would probably pay for a few pints down your local *and* a taxi home 😁
It shouldn't!

There are things to be careful about but follow the steps and it really is simple. You'll have two bolts to undo/refit (three if there's some sort of retaining clamp) and that's it. Pay attention to the refitting sequence and you'll be fine.

Think about the money you'll save not paying someone else to fit it.
That would probably pay for a few pints down your local *and* a taxi home 😁

Right,i've found this one below. It's more or less half price. Will it fit my car?

Mouse over image to zoom
Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence

eBay Premium Service
Trusted seller, fast delivery and easy returns.

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or your money back. Learn more- opens in new window or tab
Seller information
carpartsbargains (57674
star-13.gif
)
99.4% Positive Feedback

Save this seller

Contact seller
Visit Shop
See other items

Registered as a business seller

S4001 S4 063 Car Battery 4 Years Warranty 44Ah 440cca 12V Electrical By Bosch

26 product ratings

tnj4p1myre1mpff12w4j1llndmc.png
1 sold in last hour

Condition:
New

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

£46.08
RRP £96.79
save £50.71 (52% OFF*)

Posts from United Kingdom
269 watchers
468 sol

I'll answer my own question,no it won't according to the 'compatible list'.:sad:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Right that's it,i've had enough! I'm going to phone the local car accessory place and ask him to bring one up here and fit it for me. If i buy one online not only do i have to fit it and maybe feck it up,but i also have to get it from my flat to the car. Thanks to this sh!t weather walking with a heavy battery for around 100 yards on frosty pavements is not safe! Not only that, but again thanks to this damn weather i'm more or less house bound. That's why i have a car in the first place. Too many dickheads creeping round at night and dodgy un-safe pavements.I nearly went flying last night,walking home from the gym. :angry:

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
But it isn't though is it! According to some on here you can't just fit them now! Oh no, you have to have a f..k..g degree in mechanical and electrical engineering to even go near one!:thumbsdown:

One nut per cable and usually a clamp holding the batter to the chassis. Should take 15 minutes tops.

icowden

Veteran
The problem is that there is never a "simplest job" on a car. For example on my old Corsa you had to take loads of stuff out to be able to remove the battery. Then you have the fact that these days cars have some very complex electronics which you don't really want to fry.

Changing a brake light bulb on my Renault Grand Scenic would be easy though wouldn't it?

No, you take off the entire rear light assembly which involves undoing a weird bolt on the inside of the car (which then falls into the bowels of the car and is never seen again), then undo two screws under the tailgate, both of which require a star screwdriver. Then you have to swear at the light fitting and push, bang, etc until it decides to come off the car. Finally you can pop the new bulb in, then you have to do all of the above in reverse, except for the internal bolt which is irretrievable.

See also front headlights that require you to have the skills of a contortionist to reach.

Top Bottom