The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
There were lots of recalls on Minis regarding them going up in flames some time ago.

Can't remember the years or models.

@Accy cyclist you better check your recall history. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There were lots of recalls on Minis regarding them going up in flames some time ago.

1576595601328.png

accy is going to have a nervous breakdown at this rate

Drago

Legendary Member
Just got back from walking the dog. Bumped into a chap I vaguely know, chat to him a bit in the bar at the Druid and Sacrifice.

Anyway, he asked me if I still had the Smart, and would I be j terested in a swap for a 54 plate Toyota Corolla T3 Sport 1.6? His daughter has passed her driving test, and he was going to donate his car but the insurance quotes are too high.

Now, I know this car and it's very tidy, and we all know how tough Toyotas are if cared for. I'm not using the Smart and it's now off the road for winter. I've been wondering what to do with it, and had thought about gifting it to my disabled niece, but she's just started Uni and has shown no inclination to start driving lessons.

So do I do for it, and then try to sell it or sell the Volvo. Keep both? Going to have to mull this one over.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Poor bloke. He'll be wanting the Yellow Peril back at this rate.
I had thought that and in a way i would,but i do like the yellow and black mini. I've asked the bloke at the local car accessory place to bring a here and fit it for me. I've had enough of this analysing which would be best. Yes,i would've liked a Bosch with a 4 or 5 year warranty,but at least buying from a local shop means if the battery is poor he'll change it for me. Tracking people down off the internet to get money back a few years down the line is quite difficult.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just got back from walking the dog. Bumped into a chap I vaguely know, chat to him a bit in the bar at the Druid and Sacrifice.

Anyway, he asked me if I still had the Smart, and would I be j terested in a swap for a 54 plate Toyota Corolla T3 Sport 1.6? His daughter has passed her driving test, and he was going to donate his car but the insurance quotes are too high.

Now, I know this car and it's very tidy, and we all know how tough Toyotas are if cared for. I'm not using the Smart and it's now off the road for winter. I've been wondering what to do with it, and had thought about gifting it to my disabled niece, but she's just started Uni and has shown no inclination to start driving lessons.

So do I do for it, and then try to sell it or sell the Volvo. Keep both? Going to have to mull this one over.

He might find quotes still high for an older car. My son's 4 year old car insurance was less than half what it would have been for my old car - his is actually quicker !

My elderly neighbour has 3 cars at present (she's been driving them all).

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ladies and gentlemen,I'd like to announce that I have a new battery!:wahhey: It cost 75 quid fitted. I asked him if the old one was definitely fecked. He said he didn't have his tester,so I'd have to bump start the car and he'd test it at the shop. I'm pretty much sure it was fecked. Please reassure me that it would've been!!:unsure: The old one was a BMW battery by the way.I wonder if it was the original one?:scratch:

screenman

Legendary Member
The battery would have a date stamp on it. Also any decent tester now prints out a report on the battery it is testing.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ladies and gentlemen,I'd like to announce that I have a new battery!:wahhey: It cost 75 quid fitted. I asked him if the old one was definitely fecked. He said he didn't have his tester,so I'd have to bump start the car and he'd test it at the shop. I'm pretty much sure it was fecked. Please reassure me that it would've been!!:unsure: The old one was a BMW battery by the way.I wonder if it was the original one?:scratch:
Nah, it was sound. You've just wasted £75.

Top Bottom