The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
Accy,

If you order online, who is going to fit the battery,..... yourself?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Once when I switched the wipers on in my father's car I saw the arms flex and strain, but they didn't sweep because the blades were frozen to the screen, so I switched them off again. When I went out and pulled them off the screen, they snatched from my hands and then did a single sweep before stopping. The point is that the flex in the mechanism had allowed the motor to rotate just enough to disengage the parking switch, so had I not recognised what was happening and just assumed they were 'off', the motor would have burnt out.

Fuse would have blown or the relay would cut power.
You killed the power so bypassed the safety cut out

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy,

If you order online, who is going to fit the battery,..... yourself?
I know i'm not mechanically minded,but i can fit a battery.... i think. I didn't ask the MOT place as when i went in he was here and there,so probably too busy to bother about me. I remember a neighbour telling me that she asked him to fit a bulb somewhere on her car. she said he was very patronising,so maybe it's best i didn't communicate with him. I asked at the car accessory place in town. They said they'd fit one for me for between 60 and 70 quid,but they aren't a well known make. Maybe it'd be best to order a Bosch one online.

icowden

Veteran
I know i'm not mechanically minded,but i can fit a battery..

Take a look under the hood at where the existing battery is. Some of them are put in mind-mindbogglingly difficult positions such that it can be easier to get someone else to do the required disassembly. And if it is easily accessibly be careful when you fit the cables to the new battery!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Take a look under the hood at where the existing battery is

The battery's in the boot. The bloke who i bought the car off when he came to sort it for me 2 weeks ago wouldn't have it that it was in the boot. He insisted i opened the bonnet,then when he saw it wasn't there.....
be careful when you fit the cables to the new battery!

As in put the + on the - one?

Last edited:
:ohmy:
Don’t forget to dispose of the old one properly at the tip :okay:
Get £5 at a scrappy!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The battery's in the boot. The bloke who i bought the car off when he came to sort it for me 2 weeks ago wouldn't have it that it was in the boot. He insisted i opened the bonnet,then when he saw it wasn't there.....

As in put the + on the - one?

As in removing and reconnecting the leads in the correct sequence. You might want to get a note of your car’s radio code too before you start. Lots of relevant info here https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/152382/how-to-change-a-car-battery

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As in removing and reconnecting the leads in the correct sequence. You might want to get a note of your car’s radio code too before you start. Lots of relevant info here https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/152382/how-to-change-a-car-battery
I've just read that link. It puts me off trying to fit one myself. I was going to get a Bosch one off fleabay for 80 quid,because they've been recommended on this thread and the one i've seen has a 5 year warranty,unlike the local car accessory shop one which only has a 2 year warranty. I know some will say i'm dragging this out,but i just do not want to feck up by making the wrong choice. If i get the Bosch one and when i fit it it doesn't work i'll be knackered!

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
I think your over analyzing this Accy. Just bite the bullet and get a a battery. If you don't want fit it, get a garage to fit it. It's only a 2 minute job to do and will cost peanuts.

Last edited:
Just had an email off ECP @Accy cyclist offering upto 45% off batteries with code FROSTY80, LINKY.

It might just save you a few quid, but stick to a decent brand and don't be tempted by any spurious brand ECP might try and foist upon you.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've just read that link. It puts me off trying to fit one myself.

It shouldn't!

There are things to be careful about but follow the steps and it really is simple. You'll have two bolts to undo/refit (three if there's some sort of retaining clamp) and that's it. Pay attention to the refitting sequence and you'll be fine.

Think about the money you'll save not paying someone else to fit it.
That would probably pay for a few pints down your local *and* a taxi home 😁

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom