The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The battery was fecked if you had to bump it.
I didn't bump start it as i just didn't want it to make it half way to the shop then all the electrics cut out,as has happened to me with previous cars. My point/question was has the bloke who fitted the battery taken away a good battery that just needed a good charge? Someone down my local pub last night said... quote "If it went flat every time the temperature dropped below 0 C it was definitely fecked". I'm happy with that explanation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I took the battery (plus the rest of the car) out tonight on its maiden journey. After driving for a few seconds the battery red warning light came on.:eek: My thought was 'when i turn the ignition off it'll be flat'. Anyway,the car fired up without a problem and the red light wasn't there the second time. There's something about diesel engines (yes i know it was the battery,not the car,but..) that i just don't trust. I'll keep 'yellow peril M2' for 2 years,like i normally do with cars,then get a peace of mind petroleum driven automobile.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You could see what Halfords charge for supplying and fitting one .

With modern cars you have to be careful that you connect like for like ! If you connect + to - you will cause a lot of damage !

The only time I foolishly invited Halfords to change the battery on my old Focus, they put a gormless trainee on the job. He not only managed to lose the radio code (not a big deal) despite assuring me that the gizmo he was plugging into the cigar lighter would preserve it, but he then managed to knacker the airbag crash sensor (automatic MOT fail).

To cap it all, he then couldn't get the clamp bolt undone because he was reluctant/unable to apply enough welly so I ended up having to take the socket from him and do that part myself. At least they didn't have the nerve to bill me the fitting charge, and the crash sensor turned out to be relatively easy to wiggle out (despite Haynes' advice that you needed to remove several other bits first).

I took the battery (plus the rest of the car) out tonight on its maiden journey. After driving for a few seconds the battery red warning light came on.:eek: My thought was 'when i turn the ignition off it'll be flat'. Anyway,the car fired up without a problem and the red light wasn't there the second time. There's something about diesel engines (yes i know it was the battery,not the car,but..) that i just don't trust. I'll keep 'yellow peril M2' for 2 years,like i normally do with cars,then get a peace of mind petroleum driven automobile.
If your charging warning light stays on it could mean that your alternator isn't charging .

Jody

Stubborn git
Don't say that :rolleyes:,, has Accy now got rid of a decent battery and needs a new alternator. (20 pages to follow)

That's a little pessimistic. This thread only got to 15 pages :whistle:

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @Accy cyclist
Glad to hear you've got your car sorted.
They can be a pain sometimes but at least your mobile again.
I'm just waiting to get Christmas out of the way before i start some work on mine. I need to replace the copper brake pipes. Not looking forward to it as its awkward to route them over the fuel tank. But like everything they eventually either wear out or rot ^_^.

tyred

Legendary Member
It seems it's my turn to have a battery problem. Mine will be quite short and not so dramatic!

Prologue: Car wouldn't start on Christmas Eve and needed a push to get it going.

Main story: Battery very sluggish and car usually requires a push if it's been sitting a while as battery doesn't seem to hold charge. Battery does seem to charge up with engine running, even driving at night with headlamps on and multimeter confirms healthy alternator status.

I go tomorrow morning and purchase and install new battery.

THE END

Top Bottom