The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The garage I go to for my MOT seem to be able to check on fitting times and prices on their computer.
If it is anything like my old Corsa B it could involve removing things like the air filter box and supporting the engine to remove an engine mount in order to remove the belts .

Like has been said, if it needs the belt routing round an engine mount, then the engine needs supporting - nothing to worry about, just takes longer and is more expensive.

fossyant

Quick question. I need a new back box on my car - it's only been on 18 years. I know the exact part I need (two possible options on my car but mine is the early one). Easy access, no complicated routing. Chances of me undoing the two bolts with impact sockets and a breaker bar - probably zero ! :whistle:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Quick question. I need a new back box on my car - it's only been on 18 years. I know the exact part I need (two possible options on my car but mine is the early one). Easy access, no complicated routing. Chances of me undoing the two bolts with impact sockets and a breaker bar - probably zero ! :whistle:
Yep, on a scale of 1 -10, probably between 0 and 2. And even if you can get the leverage to turn the bolts or nuts, the chances are some stripping of the threads will happen.
You are likely to need new clamps anyway, so at the first sign of resistance I'd go for an impact driver. If that failed to persuaded the metal, then I'd be reaching for the grinder.

fossyant

Yep, on a scale of 1 -10, probably between 0 and 2. And even if you can get the leverage to turn the bolts or nuts, the chances are some stripping of the threads will happen.
You are likely to need new clamps anyway, so at the first sign of resistance I'd go for an impact driver. If that failed to persuaded the metal, then I'd be reaching for the grinder.

Got a grinder too, but might let the garage sweat it. They had a job changing an ABS ring (whole part needed changing) as nothing has been 'off' the car. Can't complain, as 18 years for an exhaust back box is excellent.

Adam4868

Guru
Funny enough did same thing on mine a week or two ago,a plumbers blow torch helped me out !

D

Deleted member 26715

Question for you knowledgeable lot, what are these off

D

Deleted member 26715

Ford might be a good call, this was a comment from a seller on another car that I was considering "You'll be pleased to know it has fog lights.... that's the Ford ones that nobody can find'

Edit:- If they are XR4's then they are going to be more than the car, time to get the fibreglass out I think.

So next question what indicator will fit in the hole left, not too worried about fogs.

Top Bottom