The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm wondering when my Volvo might need a new exhaust, as its 11 years old. It's all posh and fancy, with quad tailpipe, and Volvo want the thick end of 800 quid for cat back. MIJ will do me a bespoke, standard db level replica in stainless for 600, so I know which I'll be buying.

Might be years yet. Mine is fine appart from a baffle in the back boxe has 'fell off' - it's corroded inside and was rattling around. It's sound outside !

Gunk

Guru
They seem to last for ever these days

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok,i had it sorted the other day. I was going to post and tell all,but this C19 has taken up my self allocated daily post limit on CC. Not only did i have the tensioner fan belt replaced,i also had a service. Not the full service where they clean the brakes,but the second one down which involved an oil change,oil filter,air filter,pollen filter,fuel filter and screen wash and anti-freeze. The total bill,cash in hand :secret: was £330. I know absolutely zilch about car engines,so i asked a bloke who's a friend of a friend to do it,hoping i wouldn't be ripped off. I've looked under the bonnet and i can see that he has put a brand new fan belt thingy on,because it looks brand new.Meaning it's not from a scrapyard. My only slight concern is the oil. I checked the dipstick yesterday. I expected the oil on it to be golden in colour,but it does look black,or maybe dark green.Surely he won't have put the old oil back in the engine?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
So the friend of a friend is a qualified mechanic? Oil can go dirty very quickly after a change, becasue there's always a pint or more old oil that can't be drained out easily (unless you leave it to sit for a few months).

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is it a Diesel, if so it will go black the first time you start it up
And stay black? i know it might sound a dumb question,but like i said, i know zilch about engines. Also,the 'oil inspection advised'or summat like that,light has gone,but now it says just 'oil inspection'. Both lights went off/go off after ignition.

Smudge

Veteran
So the friend of a friend is a qualified mechanic? Oil can go dirty very quickly after a change, becasue there's always a pint or more old oil that can't be drained out easily (unless you leave it to sit for a few months).

New change of diesel oil will always go black straight away, oil in petrol cars doesn't, it stays clean looking for quite a while.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes,he is qualified. He works at a MOT and tyre place. I asked a 30-40 years in the job fully qualified HGV mechanic and he recommended him.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
New change of diesel oil will always go black straight away, oil in petrol cars doesn't, it stays clean looking for quite a while.
So do you both think £330 was a fair price? The job itself was £200,with the service costing £130. The MOT centre bloke across the road wanted about £130 just for an oil change.

Rear wiper doesn't work

Or, it does when it's very hot

I think there's a fractured cable somewhere, that makes intermittent contact?

However...……….. there's (I think) 5 wires to the motor
So.….. is it the motor itself?

That'd be easier, as it'd save stripping out the trim to find one

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

If you can get a 2nd hand replacement I'd be swapping the unit as a first logical step, unless like MGF's they are known for chewing the cable up as it goes from the body to boot

Gunk

Guru
If you can get a 2nd hand replacement I'd be swapping the unit as a first logical step, unless like MGF's they are known for chewing the cable up as it goes from the body to boot

I agree, it’s more likely to be the motor unit that’s failed.

Top Bottom