The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I keep getting a static electricity shock off my car. Mostly when i open and close the door. It's getting that bad that i now close the door with the palm of my hand as it's less painful to get a shock there than my finger ends. Any of you an idea what's causing it?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I keep getting a static electricity shock off my car. Mostly when i open and close the door. It's getting that bad that i now close the door with the palm of my hand as it's less painful to get a shock there than my finger ends. Any of you an idea what's causing it?
I had that before, I think it's more to do with the shoes you're wearing and possibly your clothes too. I had a certain pair of leather shoes which I could never wear to work becasue of the shocks from the car, the work kitchen taps and the kettle. It seemed to be worse if I was wearing leather soled shoes rather than rubber soles

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cloth seats? The general consensus is that it's caused by static created as you slide your arse across the seat to get out. I've never noticed it happen in a car with leather seats.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Push from the glass.
What! and get finger marks on the glass!:stop:I'm always cursing my dog for leaving dog spit marks on the inside of the front windows,i can't stand dirty windows! Seriously though,yes close them possibly using the glass,but i can't use the glass to open the door. Someone told me it happens more when a car's been sat in the sun all day,though yesterday was a dull day and i got a right blast when i opened the door!

Drago

Legendary Member
Your need a rubber mat so your shoes aren't rubbing against the carpet and developing a static charge. You must surely have an old gimp suit that doesn't fit you any more that you could cut up to make one?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Your need a rubber mat so your shoes aren't rubbing against the carpet and developing a static charge. You must surely have an old gimp suit that doesn't fit you any more that you could cut up to make one?
I sold the gimp suit on eBay as a "Covid-19 PPE outfit".

Top Bottom