The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Can anyone tell me if there are any things to be aware of in changing the car battery on a 2011 ford feista zetec ,i have changed batterys on many vehicles in the past ,cars, wagons ,ect ,but not changed one for a while ,do they still need a code for the radio or anything else to be aware of .

classic33

Leg End Member
Your car is subject to manufacturer's recall, you decide to do nothing.
How does it affect the vehicle status on the road when you carry on using it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Your car is subject to manufacturer's recall, you decide to do nothing.
How does it affect the vehicle status on the road when you carry on using it?
I guess it depends on the nature of the recall, and whether your car is indeed one of the "faulty" ones - just because it's been recalled doesn't automatically mean there is anything wrong with it, but it could also mean I will self isolate without warning.

classic33

Leg End Member
I guess it depends on the nature of the recall, and whether your car is indeed one of the "faulty" ones - just because it's been recalled doesn't automatically mean there is anything wrong with it, but it could also mean I will self isolate without warning.
Nothing serious, previous ones have been for wiring faults, airbag deploying when they shouldn't, faulty EMS and engines catching fire.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like every day Jaguar problems.
This is a Volkswagen though.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My brother has a 5 year old a200 Mercedes and recently, one of the warning lights came on. He took it to his local Mercedes dealer who told him not to use the car until they investigate the fault. It turned out one sensor had gone faulty on the fuel system I think. Cost of repair: 1800 euros!!
Also, two ago the turbo blew up when we were having a holiday in Ireland together. Luckily, that was done under the guarantee.
Suffice to say, he is not impressed with that brand and is thinking about selling it when he gets it back and buy a Renault. He has had many Renaults before and no problems.

Mrs Fondo's motor needed a jump start (where's @Fnaar these days?) due to covid flat battery. Took me blinkin ages. Why do they hide the + and - terminals on newer cars? and what happened to crank handles?

Drago

Legendary Member
My brother has a 5 year old a200 Mercedes and recently, one of the warning lights came on. He took it to his local Mercedes dealer who told him not to use the car until they investigate the fault. It turned out one sensor had gone faulty on the fuel system I think. Cost of repair: 1800 euros!!
Also, two ago the turbo blew up when we were having a holiday in Ireland together. Luckily, that was done under the guarantee.
Suffice to say, he is not impressed with that brand and is thinking about selling it when he gets it back and buy a Renault. He has had many Renaults before and no problems.
He does realise that small Mercs use Renfault engines, particularly the diseasels? Good chance that hed be swapping the badge and little else. Indeed, the famous older "Mercedes" diesel engine that used to go in the Clio and megane were nothing of the sort - they were Renault units through and through, and Renault supplied them the Mercedes for the old A class, not the other way around. Theres a "strategic partnership" between Renault group and Daimler and there share a lot of development work, design resources and components.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
He does realise that small Mercs use Renfault engines, particularly the diseasels? Good chance that hed be swapping the badge and little else. Indeed, the famous older "Mercedes" diesel engine that used to go in the Clio and megane were nothing of the sort - they were Renault units through and through, and Renault supplied them the Mercedes for the old A class, not the other way around. Theres a "strategic partnership" between Renault group and Daimler and there share a lot of development work, design resources and components.
Possibly but at Merc prices for repairs it seems.

Top Bottom