The New Sinclair C5....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Yes, I saw it on the news this morning too - the IRIS - bit more about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38960275

upload_2017-2-15_11-21-44.png

Electric trike with a shell. Can't remember if they mentioned the price they hope to sell it for though (and don't have speakers on the PC at the mo to listen to the clip)?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The C5 was ahead of it's time, as stated in the link. Sinclair made the mistake of describing it as an electric car prior to it's launch and everyone was expecting a standard motor car powered by an electric motor, so when it was launched and was a million miles away from that no-one took it seriously. With more acceptance of low speed vehicles in cities today plus the vast improvement in battery technology a modern C5 could be a winner.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
The C5 was ahead of it's time, as stated in the link. Sinclair made the mistake of describing it as an electric car prior to it's launch and everyone was expecting a standard motor car powered by an electric motor, so when it was launched and was a million miles away from that no-one took it seriously. With more acceptance of low speed vehicles in cities today plus the vast improvement in battery technology a modern C5 could be a winner.
Some serious problems with them, including

Where do you park them at your home to charge them and or where do you park them at your destination ( and or charge them)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think i'll stick to the standard bike, and an anorak.

The C5 wasn't ahead of it's time. Sinclair (rather arrogantly in my view) never bothered to research what was then occuring in the bicycle/human power world before designing his monstrous sh!tter. If he had he might have discovered that there were lots of people developing light, pedallable, aerodynamically efficient and fast recumbent trikes that could go around corners. The C5 was so sh!t that put back human power by 20 years. The farking thing couldn't be adjusted for leg length FFS.

Why shouldn't it be in cycle lanes? It's not really different from an electric assist trike?

Apart from a speed that is double the legal limit for an electric tricycle?

The present form is illegal and requires the registration and insurance of a motor vehicle

00:36 on Bimble's link

It has no more right to a cycle lane than a moped or motorcycle

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice idea, but as demonstrated its verging on being a moped. In fact, if the front wheels are more than 46cm apart you start moving into the realms of something that might be designated as a car, and all the licencing, taxation and insurance grief it brings.

Having said that, a small, personal electric car for short journeys is a good idea in my book.

Edit - £2999 or £3499 depending on the version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom