The Olympic Trivial Thing Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Map of where the medal winners are from..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/aug/07/team-gb-born-map?newsfeed=true

Looks like Northern Ireland have none :ohmy:

OS doesn't cover Northern Ireland.

U

User482

Isn't Liverpool in Merseyside, so not technically Lancashire?
Technically, there's no such county as yorkshire, either. If we use historic borders, then both Liverpool and Manchester are in lancashire. Much like hull being part of yorkshire...

asterix

Comrade Member
If Yorkshire was a separate country, in its own right, it would be 5th in the Olympic medals table.
My husband (post as Packrat) is well chuffed.

My current favourites are the Brownlee Bros. They train in the Dales when they could easily relocate to sunnier climes, true grit. They also appeared on BBC Breakfast with their medals. In their pockets!^_^

Technically, there's no such county as yorkshire, either. If we use historic borders, then both Liverpool and Manchester are in lancashire. Much like hull being part of yorkshire...

aH but it's not 'hull', it is 'Kingston-upon-Hull'. Hull is just a rather muddy little river named by some Viking yobboes.

lejogger

Guru
My current favourites are the Brownlee Bros. They train in the Dales when they could easily relocate to sunnier climes, true grit. They also appeared on BBC Breakfast with their medals. In their pockets!^_^
I predicted they'd both achieve a medal a while back, as they've been in such tremendous form over the past 4 years (even with the injury to Ali), although I was hoping for Gold and Silver.
To be fair it wasn't a difficult prediction, anyone who's been watching the world series events over the past couple of years would have done the same.

I'd just quite like to find out which Halfords they get their Boardmans serviced at... :whistle:

iLB

Hello there
BBC racism/prejudice against last nights 1500m winner, anyone else uncomfortable about their treatment of the Algerian Makhloufi ?

fimm

Veteran
That map appears to show that areas of high population density produce more medal winners than areas of low population density.... (i.e. the more people who live in an area, the more chance there is of some of them becoming good at something - hardly a surprising result.)

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
BBC racism/prejudice against last nights 1500m winner, anyone else uncomfortable about their treatment of the Algerian Makhloufi ?
The chap who faked magically produced a doctors note to get him out of a race?

siadwell

Guru

The blurb states "...it does not include people born in Northern Ireland (not covered by the OS) or in other countries around the world..."

For some reason they have relocated Ghent to Chorley for Wiggo and, although born in Nairobi, Froome is shown as originating from Hampton Court!

Ah hang on, one of the comments explains that they use current residence if born outside but now living in UK, or place of "medalling" if resident outside UK.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
The blurb states "...it does not include people born in Northern Ireland (not covered by the OS) or in other countries around the world..."

For some reason they have relocated Ghent to Chorley for Wiggo and, although born in Nairobi, Froome is shown as originating from Hampton Court!

And Hindes is showing as Manchester I think...

iLB

Hello there
The chap who faked magically produced a doctors note to get him out of a race?

That's the one, sport is full of that kind of thing though (see Phillip Hindes in the team pursuit, or the Kenyan gold medalist allowed to compete despite being on trial for allegedly stabbing a woman) they seem to have the knives out for the guy though- insinuating something unnatural about his performance. Whatever happened to innocent until...

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
That's the one, sport is full of that kind of thing though (see Phillip Hindes in the team pursuit, or the Kenyan gold medalist allowed to compete despite being on trial for allegedly stabbing a woman) they seem to have the knives out for the guy though- insinuating something unnatural about his performance. Whatever happened to innocent until...

Didnt really notice that much hate towards him to be honest, just passing annoyance that someone else could have had his place in the 800 rather than him get it and then pull out.

What I did chuckle at was the commentary team and pundits saying Gatlin's 100m Bronze was a not really applicable due to his past, but then cheering on Ohuruogu's medal...

lejogger

Guru
What I did chuckle at was the commentary team and pundits saying Gatlin's 100m Bronze was a not really applicable due to his past, but then cheering on Ohuruogu's medal...
The olympics is littered with it... We either have to accept it or not. Vinikourov/Millar in the road race, Bourge in the sprint, Chambers in the 100m etc... There's reasons for all of them to either be there or not.
Why should we accept Millar and not the others? Just because he's repented? Just because he's British? Just because perceived to be a top guy?

Top Bottom