The perfect house for a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So you want to build a house. What would you specify to make it bike-friendly?

Secure storage for multiple bikes?
Storage for clothes, helmets, shoes?
Indoor bike washing area with tepid water?
Walk-in ground floor shower with washing machine and dryer close by?
Work bench with tool storage, parts bins, bike stand, good lighting and mat, warm under foot and to stop dropped items from bouncing away?
Wifi for laptop?
Beer fridge?

Dream away!

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you been to my house?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Multiple gadget docking stations and charge units for:
  • Lights
  • GoPro
  • Bike Computer
  • Phone
Washing / Kit
  • Cycling only washing basket
  • Cycling Only Washing machine / dryer
  • Cycling only wardrobe / shoe area
  • Cyclists only shower
Storage
  • Garage for Bikes only!
You better get on Grand Designs with your concept, its a winner

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A bike store that was specifically designed for parts / wheels / bike storage. Attached to a workshop plus training room.

I've got the first only. SWMBO isn't too interested in my suggestion of the second. So I've commandeered the conservatory until she relents.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No, what have you got?
Here's a hint ... :whistle:

bikes-001-jpg.jpg

TOO clean!!!! :laugh:

I have an enclosed back yard with a hosepipe permanently connected for bike washing. I could put a big metal bike shed out there but I would always be worried about somebody getting into it and nicking the bikes.

What I would really like is for my big cellar to have a foot or more of extra head clearance. It is currently only 5' 11" and I stand 6' 2" tall in my shoes so I have to stoop when I go down there. I need direct access to the cellar steps rather than going round a tight corner to them, and the steps need to be less steep. If those 3 changes were made then the cellar would be an ideal bike workshop and storage area.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't you dig down like those pesky Russians who build underground cinemas and pools in their Mayfair houses?

Drago

Legendary Member
A dishwasher big enough to take an entire bicycle.

An outbuilding with the Wife's bedroom at the end of the 500 metre long garden.

Remote controlled front door with a ramp reading up to it.

AI alarm system controlling watchtower mounted Dillon Aero M-134 Gatling guns.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can't you dig down like those pesky Russians who build underground cinemas and pools in their Mayfair houses?
Previous (clearly SHORT!) owners laid a thick concrete floor! If they had left even another 4 inches of clearance then the cellar would have been usable. Claustrophobic, yes, but I would not be banging my head all the time.

I did succeed in getting a bike down there but it was a very tight squeeze to turn it to face the cellar door and a nightmare getting it up and down the steps. I lost my footing and almost tumbled down over the top of the bike. I gave up after that ...

Rear entrance with a transition from outside to large covered porch to inside utility area with bike storage, easy clean floor, toilet/shower room, coat hooks and boot storage.

Transitions stop you getting wet when you search for your keys. How about some kind of electronic wafting card lock or other non-key entrance.

si_c

Guru
Previous (clearly SHORT!) owners laid a thick concrete floor! If they had left even another 4 inches of clearance then the cellar would have been usable. Claustrophobic, yes, but I would not be banging my head all the time.

I did succeed in getting a bike down there but it was a very tight squeeze to turn it to face the cellar door and a nightmare getting it up and down the steps. I lost my footing and almost tumbled down over the top of the bike. I gave up after that ...
Maybe a lift of some kind, or hoist instead of stairs?

Top Bottom