The perfect house for a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm liking the ramps and automatic doors ideas, but would like the doors covered by bushes and boulders that retract away at the last minute for that full returning to the Batcave effect

I also like the idea of a 1st floor bike viewing gallery, accessible via a ride up 2 metre wide spiral staircase decked out like a retro wooden helter skelter.

Commission Dyson to develop some kind of ride through bike and rider wash/air dry system.

You did say we could dream.^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe a lift of some kind, or hoist instead of stairs?
I did consider that, but with the extra problem of getting the bike to and from the cellar door, I gave up.

Hmm, maybe it might be worth persevering ...? :laugh:

I haven't got automatic garage doors but I did put a PIR light in the garage so it comes on when I open the door (and I've got a beer fridge in the garage but I can't reach it from the front cos there's too many bikes in there)

I once stayed at a house at 8000ft in the Rocky's that Greg Le Monde occasionally used as he knew the owner ( who was a geologist). It was made of timber and had full glass on three sides. In no way was it designed as a home for a cyclist yet it was perfect...thats great architecure, it accommodates everything you need.

So you want to build a house. What would you specify to make it bike-friendly?

Secure storage for multiple bikes?
Storage for clothes, helmets, shoes?
Indoor bike washing area with tepid water?
Walk-in ground floor shower with washing machine and dryer close by?
Work bench with tool storage, parts bins, bike stand, good lighting and mat, warm under foot and to stop dropped items from bouncing away?
Wifi for laptop?
Beer fridge?

Dream away!

Just about start building our new home and it’ll have all that except the indoor bike washing area.
It will also have
Compressed air
Kicking sound system
Flat screen for trainer days
Big arse fan for hot days
Hammock Chair for post ride collapse.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We live in a Victorian terraced house with a long narrow hall, only 39" wide. When we replaced the carpets a few years ago, I asked the carpet people to put down full width coir matting for the first eight feet of the hall to stash the bike on. It's been very handy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We live in a Victorian terraced house with a long narrow hall, only 39" wide. When we replaced the carpets a few years ago, I asked the carpet people to put down full width coir matting for the first eight feet of the hall to stash the bike on. It's been very handy.
My sister has invested in a few properties and I am renting one of them. She was going to buy a new carpet for the lounge but I asked her if she would leave the ok-but-slightly-tatty old one down so I could keep some of my bikes in here without worrying about making a mess of a new carpet. I currently have my cyclocross bike behind the sofa and my mountain bike tucked away in the opposite corner of the room.

She is quite pleased to have a tenant who asks her to spend LESS money on a property! :laugh:

Colin_P

Guru
The obvious answer to this is any house as long as it is at the bottom of the hill. As who wants to ride to the top of the hill at the end of their bike ride.

snorri

Legendary Member
A dropped kerb at the entrance, a door that would open and close automatically and a hoist in the workshop area to lift the bike to a convenient height for inspecting, cleaning and adjusting. Also a cycle friendly surface to lean the bike against on the internal wall of the storage area.
I have all but the automatic door :smile:.

Top Bottom