The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Yes and all too often missed / ignored it seems watching crash investigation videos like one where the pilots were convinced they were descending when it fact they had the plane in a steep claim such that the plane stalled and then did descend totally out of control.
CFIT is a relatively rare cause for an accident. All the flights that successfully avoid terrain tend to make boring TV.

I know it’s a bit late but…

View attachment 706711
September 15th 1940 was to prove the turning point of the Battle of Britain and as such has been commemorated as Battle of Britain Day ever since. Hitler postponed Operation Sea Lion two days later, the Luftwaffe having failed to gain air superiority over the British Isles.

I can remember going to the Battle of Britain air days at RAF Colerne .

figbat

Slippery scientist
Maybe but the fact it occurs indicates the safety measures are not fool proof.

There is already more than enough information available to the flight crew to tell them their attitude, altitude, speed, rate of climb/descent and many other factors. Spatial disorientation or task overload causes them to disregard, disbelieve or ignore the instruments. More bells and whistles won’t fix this.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
There is already more than enough information available to the flight crew to tell them their attitude, altitude, speed, rate of climb/descent and many other factors. Spatial disorientation or task overload causes them to disregard, disbelieve or ignore the instruments. More bells and whistles won’t fix this.
Many CFIT accidents have happened where the pilots were fully aware of all those flight parameters. They just weren't where they thought they were.

Watched one of the air crash report videos on YouTube last night with the typical pilots losing all sense where they where in elevation and ignoring the low height warning for some reason. Made me wonder why cockpits now do not have led strips all around them which change colour depending whether a plane is ascending or descending.

View: https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/the-long-way-down-the-crash-of-air-france-flight-447-8a7678c37982

Long read but it's an excellent write up of how 2 pilots became overwelmed and/or confused by their instruments and continually tried to pitch up an aircraft in a stall and losing altitude (not the only reason for the crash). I won't attempt to summarise it further but its well worth a read.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Maybe if you forget to fall at the last moment, you'll just stop and float there?:

Attachments

• 065F6D11-7888-4FFF-81A7-9FE8D314B86A.jpeg
    065F6D11-7888-4FFF-81A7-9FE8D314B86A.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 16

Sallar55

Veteran
1000017710.jpg

I saw some interesting planes whilst at Castle Combe race circuit yesterday. A 2 seater Spitfire flew around the circuit and a dark blue biplane circled near the track. A bit later in the afternoon I saw 3 dots away towards Yate flying across towards the South. I took a photo which still isn't very clear on my camera which looks like 2 biplanes and a high wing monoplane. One of the biplanes looks like an old SE5!

a.twiddler

Veteran
All I can put forward is an impression that the lower one of the leading pair is a biplane, the upper one a high winged monoplane and the trailing one could be a parasol winged monoplane. It's possible that the upper one of the leading pair might have a glassed in cockpit, or maybe not, looking like a later design with faired in undercarriage legs.

Top Bottom