The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two variants of Moth, and an Auster? IIRC the Moth was used as a SE5 stand in for more than one film.

I agree that one looks like an Auster , it looks like there might be a roundel . The front one looks like it has an angular rudder.
The rear one now looks more like a high wing monoplane.

Here are the pictures of the Spitfire and Jungmann.

spitfire.JPG

Jungmann.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know if any of you follow Jimmy's World on YouTube but he's recently bought an aircraft from a museum in the US which houses the Spruce Goose and a SR71.
This is the video recently uploaded where he's chatting with a engineer guy who worked for 23 years for Pratt and Whitney on the SR71 with Kelly Johnson at the Skunk Works and explains how the engine was capable of over Mach 3. Still the fastest aeroplane in the world, absolutely fascinating. Remember this was the early sixties. Skip to 12:20.

View: https://youtu.be/dVGnNB2f6Hk?si=qrVLpC96VeMj3hJw

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I like Jimmy's World, he's a bit out there, loud, but funny.
He must be wealthy, chucking money at potential basket case aircraft.....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I like Jimmy's World, he's a bit out there, loud, but funny.
He must be wealthy, chucking money at potential basket case aircraft.....
From what I've been able to gather he sold his company for an awful lot of money and has been able to indulge his passion for aircraft. Bit like Kermit Weekes who used his father's oil money.
Don't know if you saw him buy Elvis's jet but he wants to make the fus into an RV, bit crazy. He's cutting up the skin into tokens and selling them as memorabilia.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rockwell B1 Lancer flew over around 16.30. I did get a snapshot of it but it was high really quite loud even so. Wings forward, headed east to west.
Only the 2nd time I've ever seen one, both times this year
I had to zoom in and screenshot it for this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_204941_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_204941_Gallery.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 16

figbat

Slippery scientist
Rockwell B1 Lancer flew over around 16.30. I did get a snapshot of it but it was high really quite loud even so. Wings forward, headed east to west.

I was walking in Cirencester Park and heard something sporty fly over but was hidden by cloud. I later discovered that there were a pair of these in the area so it’s almost certainly what I heard. Sad I didn’t see them now I know what they were though.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not long ago I heard the drone of a (probable) RAF transport, I had a A400 in mind. Just heard the same (I assume) aircraft a bit more distant. Quick look at ADSB, M400 out of Brize Norton, took a fairly straigh path across country, over Pboro, onto the Washes, Boston, looped toward Sleaford and Conningsby, back to the Washes, back toward Pboro, ...and did more or less the same loop again. He's headed back toward Pboro now..
Simply airtime, spreading their wings? its amazing how much ground even a transport covers in half an hour.
I'm just picking him up now, same distant drone as he heads off east, now back at the Washes...crikey, he's doing the rounds,

I say chaps, shall we go for a jolly ? :smile:

Not long ago I heard the drone of a (probable) RAF transport, I had a A400 in mind. Just heard the same (I assume) aircraft a bit more distant. Quick look at ADSB, M400 out of Brize Norton, took a fairly straigh path across country, over Pboro, onto the Washes, Boston, looped toward Sleaford and Conningsby, back to the Washes, back toward Pboro, ...and did more or less the same loop again. He's headed back toward Pboro now..
Simply airtime, spreading their wings? its amazing how much ground even a transport covers in half an hour.
I'm just picking him up now, same distant drone as he heads off east, now back at the Washes...crikey, he's doing the rounds,

I say chaps, shall we go for a jolly ? :smile:

Probably lost ! :whistle:

Reactions: gbb

Recently found this website
https://ffdmovements.blogspot.com/

Seems like there is a pair of B1s - plus some U2s - been hanging around and flying around for a while

Can't see any of their missions (training or otherwise) on any radar site that I normally use
including ADS-B that claims to be able to track the U2 missions - but I have always assumed that comes with the rider of "as long as they allow it"

we can make assumptions about what they are doing but they seem to want to keep it hidden

There were a couple of B52s there about a year ago and their flights could be tracked on any "radar" website - but not these apparently

gbb

Legendary Member
The US military aircraft often dont show up on asdb, last summer we were sitting in the garden watching maybe 2 or 3 aircraft in formation, quite high leaving contrails...jumped up to turn on adsb....nothing showing.
Probably B52s, headed west to east.
I've always noticed, civilian stuff predominantly heads north/south (ish), military often headed east/west ( ish)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Can't see any of their missions (training or otherwise) on any radar site that I normally use including ADS-B that claims to be able to track the U2 missions - but I have always assumed that comes with the rider of "as long as they allow it"
There's "tracking" and there's "tracking".

Best case is that the plane tells the world where it is (in other words it uses ADS-B).

Worst case is that it doesn't use its transponder at all (but that's highly discouraged in UK airspace, for obvious reasons).

In between are lots of military planes that don't want to broadcast their position, but which still use their transponder to send information on altitude, etc. They can be tracked, albeit crudely, if enough enthusiasts are monitoring them, by a process called multilateration (analogous to triangulation).

Top Bottom