The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another thing you see regarding military aircraft, is occasional aircraft in the air, being tracked by adsb, but give no identification (or type iirc). I have occasionally noted it with stuff flying out of the south west.

gbb

Legendary Member
Interestingly, gauging height of aircraft is guesswork for the most part, even low flyers.
Thursday, just driving along the A1M, Morborne radio towers just to the side, an A400 flew right overhead and slightly to one side of the mast....so 500ft then. Seems to be the favoured altitude for them, nearly always see them at this height.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Another thing you see regarding military aircraft, is occasional aircraft in the air, being tracked by adsb, but give no identification (or type iirc). I have occasionally noted it with stuff flying out of the south west.

Planes don't normally transmit details of their ID or type. It's up to the flight trackers to work that out from the transponder address.

Reactions: gbb

dicko

Guru
I saw some interesting planes whilst at Castle Combe race circuit yesterday. A 2 seater Spitfire flew around the circuit and a dark blue biplane circled near the track. A bit later in the afternoon I saw 3 dots away towards Yate flying across towards the South. I took a photo which still isn't very clear on my camera which looks like 2 biplanes and a high wing monoplane. One of the biplanes looks like an old SE5!

Like this one ? My brother at an Auckland airfield 2014

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6

Punkawallah

Über Member
Eindekker, certainly, although I think with the half cowl on the engine, forward stagger and ‘v’ strut wings I’d incline to some sort of Neuport. Can’t remember a two seat version off the top of my head.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Eindekker, certainly, although I think with the half cow on the engine, forward stagger and ‘v’ strut wings I’d incline to some sort of NeI port. Can’t remember a two seat version off the top of my head.
The OP has already suggested a Nieuport 11 or 12 - the latter was a two-seater.

a.twiddler

Veteran

As I recall. that was a well used aircraft, was a few decades old, not one that had been delivered new to the airline just a few months ago. It's surprising that such a long lived and well tried design should be having structural problems in its newest iteration. Computer problems, well that was shocking enough for a company like Boeing but bits falling off in this day and age?

It's not like the pioneering age of aviation where it would be knocked together in a shed by a bloke with a slide rule in his pocket, a pencil behind his ear, and a fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth. He would have been the test pilot, too.

Top Bottom