The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I watched a bit of one of the George Clarke In America programmes
He was in Florida, at a flying community!

Spruce Creek
https://www.7fl6.com/

Punkawallah

Über Member
I heard the Buccaneers took off after the Tornados, overtook them on the way to lasing the target, then returned to land before they got back.

Yes, but they don’t like to brag . . . Of course, on the way out the Tornados were loaded, and on the way back they would have had fuel to think of. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good ‘technology shaming’ :-)

gbb

Legendary Member
And while watching YT videos of pilots recounting their experiences, came across this...

View: https://youtu.be/-fUsuFRGdhc?feature=shared

Every chance my dad painted the Dumbo emblem on the Vulcans tail. He was at Scampton when we were kids and I vividly remember him bringing home some self adhesive material and laying it out on the kitchen table and painting this character. Some sort of anniversary for Disney at that time (late 60s, early 70s perhaps)

It bugs me everytime I see the emblem, was it just on one aircraft, several, did dad just do a mockup, is that actually dad's handiwork? Shame he's no longer around to ask.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

Mike_P

Guru
Slightly puzzled, watched a YouTube video on the crash of Spantax 995 where the plane has a vibration as it accelerated down the runway and got worse once it had lifted off resulted in the pilot trying to abort. The cause of the vibration was a faulty front wheel but puzzled how that would have got worse once no longer on the ground.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Slightly puzzled, watched a YouTube video on the crash of Spantax 995 where the plane has a vibration as it accelerated down the runway and got worse once it had lifted off resulted in the pilot trying to abort. The cause of the vibration was a faulty front wheel but puzzled how that would have got worse once no longer on the ground.
The vibration was due to an unbalanced nosewheel which had lost part of its tread. It's not particularly surprising that the vibration continued after rotation, or that it worsened in the absence of damping from ground contact - nosewheels typically continue to spin until the landing gear is retracted.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The vibration was due to an unbalanced nosewheel which had lost part of its tread. It's not particularly surprising that the vibration continued after rotation, or that it worsened in the absence of damping from ground contact - nosewheels typically continue to spin until the landing gear is retracted.

No longer damped and also would spin down through a harmonic frequency that could resonate some other part of the aircraft or amplify the imbalance.

Please excuse the interruption...

I'm designing a colour scheme for a 1:55 scale model of an RAF (Royal Naval Air Service in my world) police car.

I remember seeing RAF vehicles in blue or green with yellow roofs, which I assume is to allow them to be seen from aircraft. I'm rather taken by this idea but I don't seem to be able to find any photographs at the moment which usually means I'm googling it wrong. Does anyone have any pictures of any such vehicles, especially small trucks or cars?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Please excuse the interruption...

I'm designing a colour scheme for a 1:55 scale model of an RAF (Royal Naval Air Service in my world) police car.

I remember seeing RAF vehicles in blue or green with yellow roofs, which I assume is to allow them to be seen from aircraft. I'm rather taken by this idea but I don't seem to be able to find any photographs at the moment which usually means I'm googling it wrong. Does anyone have any pictures of any such vehicles, especially small trucks or cars?
Malta Aviation Museum has an example of a wartime tractor and mobile control tower, both with yellow upper surfaces. Photos from their web site.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 8
And while watching YT videos of pilots recounting their experiences, came across this...

View: https://youtu.be/-fUsuFRGdhc?feature=shared

Every chance my dad painted the Dumbo emblem on the Vulcans tail. He was at Scampton when we were kids and I vividly remember him bringing home some self adhesive material and laying it out on the kitchen table and painting this character. Some sort of anniversary for Disney at that time (late 60s, early 70s perhaps)

It bugs me everytime I see the emblem, was it just on one aircraft, several, did dad just do a mockup, is that actually dad's handiwork? Shame he's no longer around to ask.

'Intercepts' is a bit off seeing as they didn't know the Vulcan was there until after they took off. Another time there was a wargame I know of where a Vulcan was the only plane to make it and attack USA.

Top Bottom