The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ryanair, like many Boeing customers, have engineers on site at the factory to oversee the construction of aircraft destined for their use.

One of my former colleagues at BA managed to swing that job for a couple of years, jammy b*gger. :smile:

Working link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67994140

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is an interesting read. Some enthusiasts mostly retired are building a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter in Scotland. Going to be piloted by a 21 year girl when finished.

Meet the ageing amateur mechanics who spent 23 years hand-building a WWI biplane... and the young w… https://mol.im/a/13039539 via https://dailym.ai/android

Screenshot_20240203-175902.png

After seeing the TV programme RAF Top Gun which featured the Boring Poseidon I wondered why they went off station so soon . I thought I would just look it up and it seems that their range is 1,200 miles, in comparison the old Nimrod had a range of 5,000. The new Poseidon seems a bit pathetic to me !

DaveReading

After seeing the TV programme RAF Top Gun which featured the Boring Poseidon I wondered why they went off station so soon . I thought I would just look it up and it seems that their range is 1,200 miles, in comparison the old Nimrod had a range of 5,000. The new Poseidon seems a bit pathetic to me !

You're not comparing apples to apples.

The Nimrod's 5,000 nm range was the maximum distance it could cover from A to B (corresponding to abut 10 hours endurance).

The Poseidon's 1,200 nm is its mission range, in other words it can fly that far, then spend up to 4 hours hunting subs, and then return to base. So its total endurance isn't that much less than the Nimrod's.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

The Nimrod's 5,000 nm range was the maximum distance it could cover from A to B (corresponding to abut 10 hours endurance).

The Poseidon's 1,200 nm is its mission range, in other words it can fly that far, then spend up to 4 hours hunting subs, and then return to base. So its total endurance isn't that much less than the Nimrod's.
I was quoting the range given on the net .
The Nimrod MRA 4 range was 6,900 miles.

DaveReading

I was quoting the range given on the net .
The Nimrod MRA 4 range was 6,900 miles.
I wouldn't dwell too much on the MRA4 - it never actually made it into service.

And its planned 6,000 nm range was again A to B, so can't be directly compared with the P-8's search/loiter radius.

Incidentally, during the Falklands war the Nimrod MR2 set an endurance record for a manned reconnaissance aircraft of 18 hours and 50 minutes, which AFAIK still stands to this day.

gbb

Legendary Member
Lots of military our tonight
F15 circling around East anglia.
Lots of US stuff around Lakenheath, a C17, Boeing tanker, Boeing AWACs (it's not AWACs now, I just cant remember the term) other Boeings, an Embraer Phenom headed maybe from Conninsby toward Lakenheath, Typhoons out plus one headed up north of Dundee.
It's all going on...

figbat

Slippery scientist
Lots of US stuff around Lakenheath, a C17, Boeing tanker, Boeing AWACs (it's not AWACs now, I just cant remember the term) other Boeings, an Embraer Phenom headed maybe from Conninsby toward Lakenheath, Typhoons out plus one headed up north of Dundee.
It's all going on...

E3 Sentry.

Reactions: gbb

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's all going on...

Don't know if there's an exercise going on but there's been a lot of F15s, Typhoons, Stratotankers and Voyagers showing up on Flightradar for the past couple of days.

Reactions: gbb
Is it something to do with the exercise the HMS Queen Elizabeth was supposed to be joining before they checked the prop shaft??

or have the Russians been making a nuisance of themselves

gbb

Legendary Member
I watch far more YouTube than I do TV and meander through various stuff. Watching a few like this tonight...

View: https://youtu.be/24CaLD8l0OE?si=DGzf0TuUKwLAULyQ

Interesting how superior aircraft won't help you if the opposing tactics are better. Particually one 8 watched, Tornado F3s vs F16s.
You can take it that US technology and equipment is generally better, but there's a theme where tactics will overwhelm that superiority.

I watch far more YouTube than I do TV and meander through various stuff. Watching a few like this tonight...

View: https://youtu.be/24CaLD8l0OE?si=DGzf0TuUKwLAULyQ

Interesting how superior aircraft won't help you if the opposing tactics are better. Particually one 8 watched, Tornado F3s vs F16s.
You can take it that US technology and equipment is generally better, but there's a theme where tactics will overwhelm that superiority.

Ah yes - the Buccaneer
Only aircraft that had to gain altitude before landing to make room for the wheels

Top Bottom