The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw this B52 heading out yesterday quite high up heading Southwest. I'm sorry about the poor quality of the picture, I had the wrong lens on. In the morning I heard a loud jet going over but I was indoors and was unable to see it. This morning there was a similar noise and I managed to catch sight of a slim bodied jet with long narrow wings flying high above thin cloud. The only jet that I can think of is a U2. The sound carried on for a while and seemed to turn East. View attachment 374462
I saw several U2s landing at RAF Alconbury over the years, deceptively long wings, photos dont seem to do that aspect justice. Ironically my workplace is now situated yards from the beginning of the runway it used to land on, I often imagine what it would have been like to stand where I can now stand see it come overhead .
Never saw a B52. Thought I did late last year headed toward Mildenhall or Lakenheath but the description I gave was thought to be a transport. I astill wonder though .

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw several U2s landing at RAF Alconbury over the years, deceptively long wings, photos dont seem to do that aspect justice. Ironically my workplace is now situated yards from the beginning of the runway it used to land on, I often imagine what it would have been like to stand where I can now stand see it come overhead ..

The start of Alconburys runway...
20171003_104930.jpg

Sad really to think of its history.

Chinoock flew over in the distance today.

It seems that the new F35 is becoming stealthier. MP's are becoming worried about the rising costs. They estimate each one will now cost £150 million. I wonder if the Navy will never see one?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That looks like the Lockheed Shooting Star on the Spadeadam Range

Yes, it's one of the survivors of a batch of former Belgian Air Force T-33As that were deployed there in 1980 for target practice.

ozboz

Guru
Does any one know anything about the service men who crewed the AA guns during WW2 , were they RA or were they an independent unit , I have had a google but not much success ,

Top Bottom