The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
First rule of naming anything, never ask the British public.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Sadly, it's a fake ...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not as sexy as military and vintage I know, but a couple of airliner shots for the fellow spotters enthusiasts. I took this one under a moody Paris sky last week. I have a soft spot for the 777.
20211103_084448.jpg

And this was on the ramp at Ramstein Air Base a month or two ago during the Afghan evacuation, mix of civilian (A330) and military (C-17) all on the same mission.
20210901_071357.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Read this one on Quora once....in a thread asking about things pilots say when they crash planes.

A helicopter pilot was practicing autorotation landings. He messed up his rate of decent and came down too fast. The helicopter bounced off the ground which caused the entire helicopter to start spinning and skidding down the tarmac surface. As he's sliding along the tower asks if he requires medical assistance. He replies "standby, not done crashing yet''

:laugh:

CharlesF

Guru
Yes, very sad about the Antonov. I used to see it occasionally coming in here as we're on the flight path to Kotoka airport.
Makes an incredible amount of noise.
I was lucky enough to see the Antonov at Prague Airport, very sad as it was unique.

DaveReading

Yes, very sad about the Antonov. I used to see it occasionally coming in here as we're on the flight path to Kotoka airport.
Makes an incredible amount of noise.
My kids (8 and 9 at the time) were thrilled when I arranged a tour of the An-225 at the 1990 Farnborough Air Show - so was I, come to that.

Perks of being in the trade. :rolleyes:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My kids (8 and 9 at the time) were thrilled when I arranged a tour of the An-225 at the 1990 Farnborough Air Show - so was I, come to that.

Perks of being in the trade. :rolleyes:
Did it have empty vodka bottles, full ashtrays, and loose chairs dotted about in it, like all the Polet / Transaero / Volga-Dnepir AN 124s and IL78s I boarded in Kabul? Scary safety standards, those crews and those aircraft were something else! I've not been so lucky to see an AN225 up close but I heard anecdotally that the 225 crews were no different from a 124 crew.

DaveReading

It was a long time ago, but I seem to recall it being fairly tidy inside. The crew were friendly, but didn't/wouldn't speak much English and I quickly exhausted the three Russian words that I knew. :smile:

Top Bottom