The pleasures of vinyl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

It's a myth. Tried it sooo many times. Watching it whilst under influence of a herb while listening to DSOTM is however far out amazing

Aye, it certainly doesn't sync all that often but when it does it is quite freaky. And yes DSOTM goes well with substances and visuals - I think I also tried it with 2001 a space Odyssey..

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I dug my old 70s Sony direct drive record player out of the loft a few months back. It would appear I've moved on somewhat from the chud I bought in the early 90s. It did lead to me buying and hearing 'in rock' by Deep Purple for the first time. Oh mercy!

Now I feel the burning need to find the whole Can back catalogue on vinyl. The searching is the fun bit.

Cripes new vinyl is expensive though. I wanted to buy the reissue of the Sleep LP until I spotted the £19.99 price tag.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Tubular bells on original vinyl . Has a few pops n hisses but yes yes yes !!
Good call. Thanks for that. Made me think 'I can't have actually listened to that in 20 years'. Played it. Wonderful! I'd forgotten quite how much there was before the bells come in. As you say, pops and hissles notwithstanding.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've got a fair few records, a lot of the old crap I like never made it to CD (a medium which I also like). It doesn't necessarily equate to pops and hisses though, well kept records can sound excellent too.

the pops n hisses from the recording and production are almost unavoidable . digitising gave studios chances to clean them up , which removed the feel and sound of many classic songs . Motown was one that suffered , I am no audiophile but can tell the difference on a lot of Motown and soul records if its Vinyl or digital ( well that was till remastering put the sounds back in !)

A good turntable is essential, some of the tat being flogged on Amazon/e-bay will never make a record sound good.

I went with a Project Debut Carbon and it's certainly a different world from the old deck I had back in the 70s.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
the pops n hisses from the recording and production are almost unavoidable . digitising gave studios chances to clean them up , which removed the feel and sound of many classic songs . Motown was one that suffered , I am no audiophile but can tell the difference on a lot of Motown and soul records if its Vinyl or digital ( well that was till remastering put the sounds back in !)

That's not always true, lots of studios in the 50s and 60s had excellent equipment and engineers, there would be no pops, hisses, etc. Also some unremastered stuff sounds better than the remastered, the latest release isn't always the best.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went with a Project Debut Carbon and it's certainly a different world from the old deck I had back in the 70s.
Project are pretty good turntables, yours is a 'one piece' model though and needs to be 'isolated' from vibration whereas a 'suspended subchassis' model suffers less from this (Project make those types too although they're well in excess of a grand)

subaqua

What’s the point
That's not always true, lots of studios in the 50s and 60s had excellent equipment and engineers, there would be no pops, hisses, etc. Also some unremastered stuff sounds better than the remastered, the latest release isn't always the best.

studio stuff was great. its the creation of the Vinyl disc thats the problem .

and no @User the model T was a dog ......

Top Bottom