The pleasures of vinyl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went with a Project Debut Carbon and it's certainly a different world from the old deck I had back in the 70s.

Maz has a Project 6.9 which the insurance company supplied as a 'New for Old' replacement for an old semi-automatic Thorens she had stolen when we were burgled, it is a suspended sub-chassis type costing @ £1200 when new with an Ortofon cartridge ( another £200) fitted.

DSCN0099.JPG

They wouldn't supply us with a Thorens as a replacement (too expensive)

Luckily they didn't nick my modified Thorens from the other room.

DSCN0100.JPG

Maybe it was just too scruffy but I know which one sounds best.

subaqua

What’s the point
Goodbye yellow brick road

Mainly for opening tracks side 1 disc 1 just had a great afternoon being 10 again when my dad bought new sound centre in 1982 . Not a stack or separates. A PYE silver machine . Took pride of place in front room cost £149 which was a huge amount for my dad . I still had speakers when I moved in to my house in 1996 .

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I dug my old 70s Sony direct drive record player out of the loft a few months back. It would appear I've moved on somewhat from the chud I bought in the early 90s. It did lead to me buying and hearing 'in rock' by Deep Purple for the first time. Oh mercy!

Now I feel the burning need to find the whole Can back catalogue on vinyl. The searching is the fun bit.

Cripes new vinyl is expensive though. I wanted to buy the reissue of the Sleep LP until I spotted the £19.99 price tag.

An excellent choice!!!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
That's not always true, lots of studios in the 50s and 60s had excellent equipment and engineers, there would be no pops, hisses, etc. Also some unremastered stuff sounds better than the remastered, the latest release isn't always the best.

Outside of the remastering argument I have found that that a lot of the records I bought in the seventies and eighties before cds etc, sound better than vinyl bought recently.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Vinyl fan here...

Been having a good old sort out and have about 300 LPs destined for the charity shop. There's an original Tubular Bells, plus the orchestral version of Mike Oldfield's yawnfest, loads of Bob (feckin) Dylan and numerous Van (bloody) Morrison LPs, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and many more are all coming to a chazza near me very soon.

...still got the best part of a thousand to keep me occupied though :smile:

£20 is not bad for new vinyl these days, bearing in mind it was around ten to fifteen quid in the late 80s/early 90s.

EDIT... as for favourites... 70s psychedelic/prog rock, funk and disco, 60s easy listening, alternative 80s, breaks, bleeps and beats from the 90s, library music, TV themes and film soundtracks, anything with a really bad cover, anything cheesy, anything strange (the stethoscopic heart record is a good one, as is the Unipart jingles album)

Last edited:
Top Bottom