The police need some help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A while ago a guy on here (Magnaton ? )had graphic footage of being run off the road at a roundabout by a tanker lorry. Police couldnt prosecute without an independant witness despite the video.

Personally I think replaying video of dodgy overtakes etc is just raising your stress levels and achieving zilch.
That is just showing what the Scottish legal system is like.
There have been many prosecuted drivers in England from JUST the video footage.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
With video so easy to doctor I am surprised at that.

That is just showing what the Scottish legal system is like.
There have been many prosecuted drivers in England from JUST the video footage.
I'm not a legal eagle but in Scotland you need corroborative evidence to convict. I don't know the in and outs I think that means if you have DNA evidence alone on a crime even though its 100 million to 1 certain that they are guilty they walk free. I think however they are in the process of scrapping (or have scrapped the law recently). If that is the case CCTV or other camera evidence alone could be used.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
You know what Matt, I'd be shoot scared of going out in the car if I lived anywhere near you.

Is it a bird? is it a plane? No, it's Matt and he's got that bloody video recorder on his head again. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Personally I think replaying video of dodgy overtakes etc is just raising your stress levels and achieving zilch.

Well surprisingly this didnt affect me much as he didnt pass me closely (he'd better not at that speed).

You can work out how fast he was going by selecting a distance with landmarks from the video (ie a pinch point and a parking bay), measure the distance in real life, time how fast it took him to go that distance, multiple that to an hour (depending on what distance you did), then you have the speed.
I am sure any bored person on here would do that but just to prosecute the driver over something like this, they wont bother. Too much faff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At most the driver will get a knock on the door - the police will do that, sometimes it's enough for most 'folk'.

There is of course, one word vs the other - I went through the whole process a year or two ago with some t1t that tried to run me off the road. The copper was great, did all the research, cameras and stuff - now't available (I'd said the sun was low so any from a nearby retail park would have been rubbish). Came down to my word vs his, he admitted he was on the road, but me raising my hand (no fingers) was OK for him to chase and drive a car at me. Best thing is it went against his record as I'd perused it - oh, and the officer told me the car/driver had an iffy record already - so worth reporting - next time ?

Sooo next time, if the Fagh is in the pannier, I'll stop and wave it at him. 'Look I have a bike lock'..... :whistle:

Top Bottom