The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Apologies for a very slight thread diversion...I've got some Asian clients coming to London in a couple of weeks and one of them is hammering on about getting some "traditional British fish and chips"

Of course every pub does fish and chips but I suspect they aren't that great. We're staying in City area. Needs to be a sit down place rather than takeaway. I went to Poppies in Spitalfields recently which was OK but any better options? Price, for them, not really the key determinant
The Fryers Delight on the corner of Theobalds Road and Red Lion street, if you're at that end of the City, used to do its frying in dripping. Years ago I stopped there on the way home, and for someone used to oil fried chips it was a revelation. It's an old school no nonsense chippy.

Otherwise, for posh, there's a Loch Fyne in Leadenhall Market, or for expense accounts there's Chamberlain's.

postman

Legendary Member
A fish supper from the van that parks outside Nethy Bridge Post Office on a Monday evening costs £6 and is very tasty. It parks in various other local villages on the other days.
Part of the fun of ordering and waiting is the educating of foreign tourists, e.g. from Surrey, about what a fish supper is.

the-nethybridge-hotel.jpg
Stayed there for a couple of days.Back in 1990,on my honeymoon.We did a tour of parts of Scotland.

U

User169

The Fryers Delight on the corner of Theobalds Road and Red Lion street, if you're at that end of the City, used to do its frying in dripping. Years ago I stopped there on the way home, and for someone used to oil fried chips it was a revelation. It's an old school no nonsense chippy.

Otherwise, for posh, there's a Loch Fyne in Leadenhall Market, or for expense accounts there's Chamberlain's.

Went to the Fryers Delight a lot when I worked in Grays Inn. Usually a mix of black cabbies and barristers - be prpepared to share a table. Was there in March - massive piece of fish.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Loch Fyne looks like a good option for them. Thanks

Reactions: srw

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My local fish and chip shop (which I have never been in) charges £6.30

PK99

Legendary Member
Can anybody tell me why mushy peas are usually fluorescent green? The tin I had from the UK last week was.

mushy peas.jpg

Tinned are a pale imitation - get yerself a packet of Batchelors' Bigga dries marrowfat peas and make your own! Ideally put a ham hock bone in when you boil them.

Last edited:
El-cheapo fish & chips for supper tomorrow for the grand total of £1.59. :dance: And it's all your fault, all this talk of fish and chips. :laugh: Popped into the co-op today to see what was on YS and came out with:

2 portions of lemon & pepper dusted sole - 77p
parmentier potatoes - 38p
crushed peas with mint & lemon - 44p

Not strictly kosher, but hey :giggle:

Top Bottom