The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
Call me a philistine but I'd rather have a Kebab anytime, and not that Doner muck, a nice Shish or Kiofte. :hungry:

200.gif

Reactions: gbb

keithmac

Guru
I wouldn't begrudge paying £6.50 for a good fish and chips (decent meaty fish, well cooked chips and scraps).

Our decent chippy does a "small" fish and chips for £3.50, more than enough for me with a pot of peas!.

Can't really compare decent fish and chips to a McD's. I'd be heading straight to the chippy after my burger as I'd still be hungry!

Sandra6

Veteran
In Silloth do you mean the one on the corner of the street that goes down to the RNLI station?
It is indeed. I used to prefer John's plaice a couple of streets away, but they sold it and it's not as good anymore.

Went to a Harry Ramsden's once, not at all impressed and expensive too.
Might well have change since then though.
I went as a child and got scalded with a hot cup of tea. Have been again as an adult but I wouldn't rush back.

I usually ring them up and order,then go down and pick them up.....you get more chip's that way as they get bored waiting for you and just keep going!
Have you tried the shop on Shady grove?Same owners, different staff apparently,they might not recognise you,mind you, given where it is,they may have bouncers
Dante's? Yes, they are quite good, they own the chipshop in Dalston now too, they are probably the nicest and no silly queing systems.
Locally the best chips are from the Friary in the town centre.
My all time fave chips ever ever came from a little chippy in Hebden Bridge.

stephec

Legendary Member
^_^Well done!
If youre still hungry by the time you approach Carlisle,head down Wigton Rd(A595),pass the BP garage,and 400 yds later on your left you will arrive at some lights.Look left,Oh look, theres Renuccis!You could have another portion (you can sit outside,view not quite as good-cars derelict pub).
I bet Sandra6 would join me to cheer you on,We ll have to stay outside though,apparently she has form !:giggle:
I've never been that way, usually turn off at junction 41 and head through Wigston on the way there and back.

screenman

Legendary Member
£2.99 for a lunch time specials, I have people here from all over the UK and further afield, many take me up on the offer of that for lunch and everybody has so far been very pleased.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
£5.30 at my local chippery... not bad and the portions are big and the fish well fried. They also do the 'ultimate' fish finger sandwich which is awesome, and i'm yet to try their marinaded steamed haddock.

Is it true that fish gets more expensive the further from the coast? I used to visit relatives in Derby when i was a kid. We always had Chinese take-away, but when the Derby clan visited us, it was always fish and chips. When i asked why we never had fish and chips in Derby (the Chinese take-away was next to a chippery)... i was told that it's too expensive that far inland. Never knew if it was bull or not.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I still maintain that the fish finger sandwich is one of Britain's greatest contributions to the world.
Especially when it's freshly fried fish goujons with mushy peas and home-made tartar sauce on a 12" baguette :hungry:

Freds Dad

Veteran
My local chippy on Crompton Road in Macclesfield does a delicious fish and chips for £5.20 and they cook the fish to order.

A mention must also go out to the chippy we ended up at after @nickyboy s ride last month. They were lovely but after a day of cycling I'm sure anything would have tasted good.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My local chippy on Crompton Road in Macclesfield does a delicious fish and chips for £5.20 and they cook the fish to order.

A mention must also go out to the chippy we ended up at after @nickyboy s ride last month. They were lovely but after a day of cycling I'm sure anything would have tasted good.

They're good. But I think those who have done both the Llandudno and Scarborough rides would agree that the Scarborough fish and chips were even better

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
£5.30 for a small fish supper (one fish) or £6.50 for large (two fish) at my local.

If you prefer a special fish, which is very large fish done in breadcrumbs, it's £7.50. It's a massive meal that easily feeds the pair of us.

gbb

Legendary Member
OK, a slight diversion (apologies OP)...how much were the first portion of chips you remember buying ?
I seem to remember mine as a chippie on a long road, maybe 1/4 mile from the entrance to RAF Wyton when I must have been less than 11.
6d...sixpence....so before 1972.

One night a week mum would give us each sixpence and off we'd trot. Funny the things etched in your mind.

Top Bottom