The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK, a slight diversion (apologies OP)...how much were the first portion of chips you remember buying ?
I seem to remember mine as a chippie on a long road, maybe 1/4 mile from the entrance to RAF Wyton when I must have been less than 11.
6d...sixpence....so before 1972.

One night a week mum would give us each sixpence and off we'd trot. Funny the things etched in your mind.

I'm just a little too young to remember pre-decimalisation. However I do remember chips being 10p a bag.

On another note, my mum worked in the chippy so we used to get free chips anyway.
We also got the job of going round the local estate asking for old newspapers for the Chip shop to wrap the chips. We got paid 50p per shopping trolley full. Of course this was way before anyone recycled and they banned newsprint from being used in chippies.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
SACRILEGE
I'm more of a mayonnaise man... but today i had ketchup. I enjoyed it... but not as much as I'd enjoy the 'ultimate' from the chippery.

keithmac

Guru
I still maintain that the fish finger sandwich is one of Britain's greatest contributions to the world.

Best one I had was buttered bread, hot fish fingers on top melting the butter, splash of vinegar (sizzling as it drops on) and then the bombshell, marmite on the top slice of bread.

Magic!.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, a slight diversion (apologies OP)...how much were the first portion of chips you remember buying ?
I seem to remember mine as a chippie on a long road, maybe 1/4 mile from the entrance to RAF Wyton when I must have been less than 11.

One night a week mum would give us each sixpence and off we'd trot. Funny the things etched in your mind.

About 6p (new pence). Used to have a bag of chips and scraps as I walked home from cubs so mid seventies. I seem to remember the price racing up to 10p when there was a potato shortage around that time

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
My wife & son shared......
IMG_3406.JPG

It cost me £6.90

mustang1

Legendary Member

I remember the space invaders and pacman machines at my local chippie.

Reactions: gbb

midlife

Guru
About 6p (new pence). Used to have a bag of chips and scraps as I walked home from cubs so mid seventies. I seem to remember the price racing up to 10p when there was a potato shortage around that time

Yep, chips coming home from cubs and scouts too :smile:. Used to have some new fangled invention...... "chips and curry sauce". More adventurous had half chips and half rice with curry sauce. Early 70's lol

mustang1

Legendary Member
Best one I had was buttered bread, hot fish fingers on top melting the butter, splash of vinegar (sizzling as it drops on) and then the bombshell, marmite on the top slice of bread.

Magic!.
This was going so well before you mentioned the m. I like m but not anywhere near chips.

Top Bottom