The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
It's only £5 here. Just have the chips it's cheaper.

[QUOTE 4843754, member: 259"]I love mayo, but if you're having it on chips it has to be on nice crispy chips fried in beef dripping. I wouldn't fancy it on most British chippy chips, nice as they can sometimes be.

Most Belgians think the Brits are insane putting vinegar on chips, but once they've tried it with malt vinegar rather than wine-based muck they're often pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, they're rubbish at battered fish and you only get mushy peas as a kind of soup called snert. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well, proper home made chips at any rate.

Incidentally, my mum is Belgian. She is still horrified that I like salt and vinegar on my chips. As well as mayo. :laugh:

[QUOTE 4843773, member: 259"]When I was a kid we had a Belgian lady living a few doors up on the road. My dad used to give a few rabbits and she'd invite us for dinner with her kids. Rabbit in beer and unlimited chips. I remember seriously thinking that I would die from eating too much![/QUOTE]

Sounds good :okay:

Our local chippie charges £6.70 for a large sized fish and chips. And by large I mean it still has the harpoon in it! If they don't have a sufficiently huge piece of fish, they give you two ordinary sized pieces......

One large sized portion easily feeds Mrs S and myself, so I guess I could say it costs £3.35 per person.

I don't know how much they charge for regular sized fish and chips, but I guess it will be about a fiver.

atalanta

[QUOTE 4843773, member: 259"]When I was a kid we had a Belgian lady living a few doors up on the road. My dad used to give a few rabbits and she'd invite us for dinner with her kids. Rabbit in beer and unlimited chips. I remember seriously thinking that I would die from eating too much![/QUOTE]
Oh God, fresh rabbit. Pie style or what? I just had me tea and I'm still slavering at the thought :hungry:

Rabbit is a regular on the menu chez Casa Reynard. I have a friend who goes shooting and the cats like a catch-your-own.

Fair game, if you pardon the pun, for barking the trees etc.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I still maintain that the fish finger sandwich is one of Britain's greatest contributions to the world.
My late second-cousin Denis worked with Clarence Birdseye on the near legendary trial of herring fish fingers that gave Britain the cod fish finger.

Top Bottom