The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Any good? I've always been tempted by the price but it always seemed a bit too cheap to be any good.

Don't know, never had them, I'd read this thread and kept trying to remember where I'd seen them for £2.99, I passed yesterday. I'll buy some next week and report back......it's cheaper than I pay for a sandwich at work.

Craster Arms, Beadnell - giant cod, chips and mushy peas £11.99

Billed as 'giant' and it certainly is - borders on being almost too big but I struggled through and finished it :laugh:
Loses a point though for the poncey way they serve it - on an oven tray (the fish hangs over both ends) with fake newspaper underneath and the chips in a wire basket. Tasted bloody lovely though, even if I could barely move afterwards.
We could have been there at the same time - although I didnae have fish'n'chips as I have already said...

I'm still hungry. :sad:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I blame Mrs Marmion.

"We'll go for some tea and cake"
"Err no, we'll go for some fish'n'chips..."
"Oh, we can have that later..."

<Later>
"That cake we had earlier was very filling, I don't think we should have anything..."
Time to take the bike out for a quick spin, you could even sneak a pint (or2) in. :bicycle: :cheers: :hungry: :bicycle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lake District (Kendal) - Fish & Chips (v.big lump of fish) £4.90 from our local (ish) chippie.

Can't seem to get cod up here - not sure why? It's just unspecified fish although it's very nice.

A while back they had a deal on called Big Fish & Chips (another 50p) and the Big Fish was a mega-sized lump of something caught off the coast of S.Africa. Whatever it was it was gorgeous.

postman

Legendary Member
Hunmanby village fish and chip shop.Tuesday night Haddock and chips £5-10 and wonderful they were too,mind you i do not like the skin left on.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
TBH, cod isn't my first port-of-call when it comes to white fish. Catfish is particularly good IMHO.

Gross xx(

catfish.jpg

MarkF

Guru
Don't know, never had them, I'd read this thread and kept trying to remember where I'd seen them for £2.99, I passed yesterday. I'll buy some next week and report back......it's cheaper than I pay for a sandwich at work.

Called in today, £2.99 got me a large portion of fish and chips cooked in vegetable oil. I rarely eat them so am no expert, but they were really nice, the fish was light and fell apart with my fork and the chips were not too greasy. I couldn't eat them all, total bargain.:okay:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl...ved=0ahUKEwi1t53V_LPVAhVpJ8AKHflqCYcQpx8IZzAK

Top Bottom