The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Cheap and not bad fish and chips from Chinese chippy near work on estate in Rochdale £3.40. It just says 'fish' no species specified! Frozen basa at that price I reckon.
At the other end of he scale Grandma Pollards near home in Walsden does fried in dripping haddock and chips for IIRC 7.50. Personally I find the chips underdone on occasion, especially when they're busy and Tony is distracted gassing with the customers. You get dabs and a scallop included with the chips though. They also do home made vanilla slices the size of house bricks. Half of one does two of us for a dessert.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Soundwell Road, Staple Hill, Bristol, the English chippy , Fish & chips £5.70 with some tomato sauce sachets. Two minutes from my house & it's fish & chip friday tomorrow^_^.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
We're lucky. Father in law works in a fish house so we get it free. Local chippy will fry it for 50p a fish plus £1.20 for a large bag of chips. Can't grumble :tongue:

itchybeard

Around £5.50 here in north Lancashire.
I dont tend to buy fish much, its mainly batter and that's to oily for me and too much of it.
The price for chips alone is around £1.50 - £1.80 depend on regular or large.
Still, better value than Mcdonalds, KFC etc.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 4896116, member: 259"]Blimey, that's bloody cheap for Iceland! :ohmy:[/QUOTE]
TVC still had to take it out of its box, defrost and cook it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The Magnet, Bedminster, £5.90 and very nice it was too. Not too many chips which was no bad thing as the standard piece of cod was enormous !

Tin Pot

Guru
£8.70 Cod & chips

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Craster Arms, Beadnell - giant cod, chips and mushy peas £11.99

Billed as 'giant' and it certainly is - borders on being almost too big but I struggled through and finished it :laugh:
Loses a point though for the poncey way they serve it - on an oven tray (the fish hangs over both ends) with fake newspaper underneath and the chips in a wire basket. Tasted bloody lovely though, even if I could barely move afterwards.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
£11.95 at the Folly, Gracechurch Street, EC3, for haddock and chips with tartare sauce. Curiously tasteless but very crispy chips, OK haddock drowned in an underwhelming batter which somehow managed to be both extremely crispy and extremely greasy. Tartare sauce which was mainly mayonnaise into which a few token capers had been chopped.

Fortunately I wasn't paying.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Best chip shop fish I ever had was a battered Mackerel fillet. A true grease feast, but delicious. I don't remember the chip quality, or the cost, and soon after the shop was destroyed in a fire, so this was a one off, never to be repeated.

[QUOTE 4896902, member: 9609"]£8 for 2xfish + chips in Berwick the night (I'm a hungry sole) absolutely fantastic.. always best to wait while they cook the fish though.[/QUOTE]
I was in Berwick th'day, didnae hae fish'n'chips tho. I was also in Alnwick, Beadnell, Seahouses, and Bamburgh; I didnae hae fish'n'chips in any of them. I'm now hungry.

Top Bottom