The questions-you-feel-you-ought-to-know-the-answer-to Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Every once in a while someone asks you a question and you get a sense that you probably should know the answer, or, that you probably did once know the answer but you forgot it so long ago that now you're not totally sure you ever knew. As a parent, I find that these questions often come from the kid, because kids question everything; it would appear that it's kind of their job.

This is the thread to ask those questions, in the hope that one of us will remember just enough of an answer to allow us to google it and pretend we knew all along.

It was inspired by a question I was asked this morning, presumably as a result of a thought process to which I have no details.

Question 1
Why do we call Kingston-upon-Hull 'Hull' when we don't call Newcastle 'Tyne'?

(Since the kid went to school I've decided it's because the River Hull is really short and there is nowhere else significant on it whereas the Tyne goes through, er, Hexham and Prudhoe, but then it might be because there are other Kingstons, or because the river Hull and the New Castle are the two most significant things in each place - basically I still don't know!)

If this takes off it might be easier to read if people try and use 'Question n' 'My Answer to n' in their replies so we can spot the questions and the tell the answer posts from discussion ones. Watch this thread get to 4 posts and be lost forever now! :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Something to do with royalty, as the "King" in the name shows.

Along the same lines as Kingston upon Thames.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After a chat with his relatively young son about the facts of life youngster obviously had been thinking. So mid shop in the Supermarket in full hearing of many shoppers youngster asked :-

"Dad - do birds have penises?"

So what's the panel's answer (whilst in the hearing of all those shoppers)?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Why do so many places around Newcastle have "le" in their names - Chester le Street, Houghton le Spring, Dalton le Dale, Sunderland le Pew etc?

Dave7

Legendary Member
After a chat with his relatively young son about the facts of life youngster obviously had been thinking. So mid shop in the Supermarket in full hearing of many shoppers youngster asked :-

"Ask your mum when we get home son".
Later.....mum says....
"Yes son, they do. And they are bigger than your Dad's".

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru

My economics teacher at school told us that mallards are the only birds that do, and that they are also the only birds that rape each other. I can't recall what it had to do with economics, nor do I know if he was correct.

classic33

Leg End Member

Instant reply, given your thread, is ask the bee's about the birds.

Nibor

Bewildered

My brother used to breed finches and as I recall he referred to the birds(both male and female) sexual bits as vents.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My economics teacher at school told us that mallards are the only birds that do, and that they are also the only birds that rape each other. I can't recall what it had to do with economics, nor do I know if he was correct.

i can confirm that yes - ducks in general can be a bit rapey :blink:

Top Bottom