The questions-you-feel-you-ought-to-know-the-answer-to Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do we laugh?

Because if you didn't, you'd cry.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm buying some aftershave off fleabay. Two adverts for the same product, but one sells at £19.45 for 125 ml and the other sells at £29.99 for 200 ml. I'm thinking the latter is the best value, but I just need confirmation before I buy. :scratch:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm buying some aftershave off fleabay. Two adverts for the same product, but one sells at £19.45 for 125 ml and the other sells at £29.99 for 200 ml. I'm thinking the latter is the best value, but I just need confirmation before I buy. :scratch:
Divide the prices by five for the first, eight for the second. Common unit is 25ml.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The latter is the cheapest, by volume. Whether either of them would represent value is another matter. Have to say, even as a keen ebayer, I'd hesitate to buy anything like that on ebay. I'd be amazed if the listings aren't full of counterfeit stuff.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The latter is the cheapest, by volume. Whether either of them would represent value is another matter. Have to say, even as a keen ebayer, I'd hesitate to buy anything like that on ebay. I'd be amazed if the listings aren't full of counterfeit stuff.
Do you really think so? I've always been happy with the stuff I've bought off e bay. For instance that 100% genuine Burberry cap costing 25 quid from China was great value,seeing as the ones they make over here cost 250 quid! :whistle:

Last edited:
What is the mechanism for electrical inductance?
Off the top of my head, (I was last in a physics classroom 23 years ago) electricity and magnetism seem intuitively unrelated, but in reality they're two aspects of the same phenomenon. Current is electrons moving through a conductive medium (gross oversimplification), and in a strong magnetic field a physical force is applied to electrons perpendicular to the magnetic field. Moving electrons = charge, charge = moving electrons.

As I say, gross oversimplification - do not get me to wire a plug or lick a third rail.
Also, magnets are weird.

What bakes my noodle is that moving electrons also generate magnetic fields so if it weren't for energy loss through friction and heat it would be possible to harness infinite energy. Stupid laws of thermodynamics. *shakes fist at universe*

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Off the top of my head, (I was last in a physics classroom 23 years ago) electricity and magnetism seem intuitively unrelated, but in reality they're two aspects of the same phenomenon. Current is electrons moving through a conductive medium (gross oversimplification), and in a strong magnetic field a physical force is applied to electrons perpendicular to the magnetic field. Moving electrons = charge, charge = moving electrons.

As I say, gross oversimplification - do not get me to wire a plug or lick a third rail.
Also, magnets are weird.

What bakes my noodle is that moving electrons also generate magnetic fields so if it weren't for energy loss through friction and heat it would be possible to harness infinite energy. Stupid laws of thermodynamics. *shakes fist at universe*

But what is the magnetic field composed of, and what causes the physical force ?

Top Bottom