The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tornado got there then?, after being trapped by a bridgestrike problem, at NYMR?
Yes, but had to be brought over by lorry, to the annoyance of the owners.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Not this time as it was all passenger services. The railway does have a couple of examples of toad brake vans though so I'll get a pic if I see one on a future visit.
You are awesome! She loved the real Oliver's photo and asked if we could go see him, I had to tell her that Sodor is a bit far but maybe some day. So she asked if we could watch the episode where he is saved from the scrapyard and that is much more doable :smile:

Salty is her favorite engine and she asked if she could dress up as him for Halloween, I told her she can but for her a troublesome truck outfit would be more fitting :laugh:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
The past couple of years in each October our company owner had taken all of us that worked in this state on an evening aboard the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad for dinner and music and such aboard the train (he used to take us out aboard the Nautica Queen on Lake Erie before that, but not enough people showed up to justify renting out the entire ship so I suppose renting the whole train was less spendy). I had ridden it a few times before with a friend and had ridden in the observation car which is lovely, we always had a good time. He retired this past year and sold our company, and for a farewell gift I got him a book about the history of the Cuyahoga railroad (it even had a big photo of the train we rode right on the cover). He loved it!

I have always liked trains and wished there were commuter trains and just more passenger trains in general around here. We live about two blocks up from some train tracks and at night can hear the freight trains blow their whistles, which is nice. I have promised my daughter that this year now that she is a big girl (3) and potty trained we can go on her first train ride and she is very excited!!!

Arguably rail related

I was on Chantry Bridge this afternoon, taking a few photographs for the 'My Picture Of The Day' thread

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1518305

Whilst riding off, there was some patchy tarmac, & in the hole.........

DSCF4553.JPG

And, after a little dig online
All of the background buildings have gone
6173579034_103055403a_b.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You are awesome! She loved the real Oliver's photo and asked if we could go see him, I had to tell her that Sodor is a bit far but maybe some day. So she asked if we could watch the episode where he is saved from the scrapyard and that is much more doable :smile:

Salty is her favorite engine and she asked if she could dress up as him for Halloween, I told her she can but for her a troublesome truck outfit would be more fitting :laugh:
I had to look Salty up as they've added a huge number of characters since the original books. I don't think the railway has one of that style.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I had to look Salty up as they've added a huge number of characters since the original books. I don't think the railway has one of that style.
He's a dockside diesel and when we do see the occasional train they are diesels pulling freight- but they look different and we don't live near the water so none of them are Salty enough for her :laugh:. She likes that he tells stories and talks like a pirate, yarrrr! She also loves James because he is her favorite color and loves being a splendid red engine!

I pulled up this thread and we went back for pages looking at the trains, she loved all of the pictures! We have to go train hunting one warm day.

My aunt lives in another state and is about a 4hr drive away, but she lives near a town that has a lovely station and a train that will take you on an 8hr ride up and through the mountains (and under one of them in this really cool old wooden tunnel) and back. It is quite lovely and my friend and I went once years ago and had so much fun! It is the Cheat Mountain Salamander on the Elkins & Durbin Railroad. I will have to see if I can find my pictures!!!

Edit: This is the website, it is a beautiful ride! But it is apparently now called the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad?
http://mountainrailwv.com/tour/cheat-mountain-salamander/

Last edited:
Gordon situated at the Severn Valley Railway's Engine House.

P1020111.JPG

P1020113.JPG

P1020115.JPG

Attachments

• P1020115.JPG
    P1020115.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 61

Dark46

Veteran
Not too long ago I paid a visit to the WSR. I was lucky enough to walk through the Diesel shed .

Once I has compressed some pics I will post more and I was able to go in Western Campaigner. As most of my pics were taken with my DSLR they are to big to upload.

Attachments

• 20180217130631_IMG_0105.JPG
    20180217130631_IMG_0105.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180217135406_IMG_0121.JPG
    20180217135406_IMG_0121.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom