The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My layout is multi period (in theory anyway) as it has only ever run as c 1960. Various issues lead me to taking it off the exhibition circuit (it featured in an issue of Horby magazine and a Railway Modeller Album) and rebuilding it as a U shaped home layout intending to use one of those train lift storage systems which never turned up and I had to give them a ultimatum to get my money back. That lead to progress on it stalling with only limited time spent on it since. The other time periods being mid 1960s with rail blue making an appearance and various dates as a preserved line with mainline visiting stock seeking to make sure whatever is running is appropriate

Any pictures?

If I was to take up railway modelling ( I’m not) . I would build modern era ,bus shelter style station with appropriate rolling stock, but with an adjacent heritage railway. Then I could run my choice of steam and diesel traction and it would all be correct in my world.
🤔 I could model a heavy haulage low loader delivering a guest loco.

A nice idea.

There are a few "Preserved" models about, but I find they're often modelled as preserved railways are today; very sleek and professional tourist attractions. A model of tie 1980's with a lot of half finished rusty projects and a "Modern" railway with a vandalised bus stop shelter and abandoned platforms for contrast would be very interesting.

classic33

Leg End Member
If I was to take up railway modelling ( I’m not) . I would build modern era ,bus shelter style station with appropriate rolling stock, but with an adjacent heritage railway. Then I could run my choice of steam and diesel traction and it would all be correct in my world.
🤔 I could model a heavy haulage low loader delivering a guest loco.
Something along the lines of Keighley?

bluenotebob

Veteran
I really enjoy reading this thread and most of my earlier life was spent both living close to railway lines and travelling on trains. But more recently .. well, I’ve been trying to remember when I last saw a train .. I think it must have been in Rennes around 2005. Two railway lines cross Brittany, running west to east, but neither are close to me. I do occasionally cross those lines on my bike but rail traffic is so infrequent that I’m very unlikely to get a photo of a train.

Alongside several hundred other plans for 2023, I’m determined to cycle to a station and at least get a photo of ‘MBIFO a railway station’ and, if possible, take some photos of French trains. Well, I’ll try ..

I do have some old ‘train’ photos that I’d like to share (when I can find them).

Here’s a photo from 1999 – the mono-rail in Darling Harbour in Sydney.

Darling Harbour-Monorail.jpg

I really enjoy reading this thread and most of my earlier life was spent both living close to railway lines and travelling on trains. But more recently .. well, I’ve been trying to remember when I last saw a train .. I think it must have been in Rennes around 2005. Two railway lines cross Brittany, running west to east, but neither are close to me. I do occasionally cross those lines on my bike but rail traffic is so infrequent that I’m very unlikely to get a photo of a train.

Alongside several hundred other plans for 2023, I’m determined to cycle to a station and at least get a photo of ‘MBIFO a railway station’ and, if possible, take some photos of French trains. Well, I’ll try ..

I do have some old ‘train’ photos that I’d like to share (when I can find them).

Here’s a photo from 1999 – the mono-rail in Darling Harbour in Sydney.

View attachment 672231

Don't loose that photo because the monorail is no more, was not much good as a transport option possibly because it was a circuit that only went in one direction.

Interesting video about Vectron electric and hybrid locomotives being manufactured at a very advanced facility in Munich:

View: https://youtu.be/m1LLHKjpvTg

The Vectron seems to be the new locomotive of choice here: they do several variations including this one, a number of multi voltage units and a 'budget' version to work exclusively in Germany.

Mike_P

Guru
As a 10ft layout with the fiddle acting as the loco depot operators tended to run tender locos on trains one way only if not tender first running; not bothering to turn them round in the fiddle.

Even with the extension I came back to the layout after a break to get one operator complaining a loco had no front coupling. Looking at the layout he had managed to trap the 03/04 that was acting as station pilot and hence could not use that to shunt the parcels stock.

Took me a good quarter of an hour to get the stock and locos into some sort of sensible arrangement without resorting to hand removing stock.

Roughly it is the section between the platform end and the public footpath overbridge that has to have been replaced resulting in redesigned station throat, new larger road overbridge and relocated fuel terminal.

Last edited:
Monday 2nd

The site of the (second) Station
Built as the ‘York & North Midland Railway’

Wetherby
West Yorkshire

E3E94DDE-E3ED-41A7-87C2-5D5CE212CF7D.jpeg

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7005742

There’s a lot of maps, & excellent photographs,here
http://disused-stations.org.uk/w/wetherby_second/index.shtml

There are also old (reproductions?) signs on the CCTV/lamp-posts

We passed the 'first' station site, at the side of (as it was) The Great North Road (when it passed through the town, instead of bypassing), but traffic precluded a stop & turn-around, to get into its grounds
It was actually the 'Goods Shed'
http://www.engineshedwetherby.co.uk/contact-us.html

EDIT @ 17:49
i've been here before; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-rail-enthusiast-thread.130375/page-147#post-5881829

Last edited:
Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
This is Keighley!
A nice idea.

There are a few "Preserved" models about, but I find they're often modelled as preserved railways are today; very sleek and professional tourist attractions. A model of tie 1980's with a lot of half finished rusty projects and a "Modern" railway with a vandalised bus stop shelter and abandoned platforms for contrast would be very interesting.

Top Bottom