The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I was waiting for my train from Leicester to Birmingham this afternoon when a pair of Class 73's turned up on platform 4.

A bit of the beaten track for these beasties.

View attachment 671868

View attachment 671869
Those are 73/9 so have been re-engineered. 1600hp diesel engines, so can give a good performance away from third rail. As built, the class 73 had a tiny engine and was intended to spend most of its time on electrified lines.

Similar 73/9 locos are used on the Caledonian Sleeper - really, really off their original stomping ground. They are lighter in weight than most main line diesels, so can work through to Oban.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
I had the good fortune today to be on a train through this place
20230113 Yarmouth ride (17) Berney Arms.jpg

20230113 Yarmouth ride (18) Berney Arms.jpg

It is the only stop on the Great Yarmouth to Reedham line, and sits in glorious isolation in the Halvergate Marshes, near an old pumping windmill but with no road connection. It is a short platform, to which only one carriage of the train is opened, and was recently refurbished along with the whole of this short line, but can get no more than a few curious walkers and bird-watchers as (occasional) customers.

Last edited:
Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
This is a bike cupboard on an LNER class 800, on a good day. It is a struggle getting that bike hung up, as it is heavy and has 35mm tyres, but at least it fits. The real fun starts when a second bike turns up

IMG_20220917_075510.jpg

This is a bike cupboard on an LNER class 800, on a good day. It is a struggle getting that bike hung up, as it is heavy and has 35mm tyres, but at least it fits. The real fun starts when a second bike turns up

View attachment 675449

That's tight, I see the problem when there's a second bike. Unfortunately DB are using similar hooks on their new intercity trains.

The new local trains have plenty of space, fortunately.

robjh

Legendary Member
That's tight, I see the problem when there's a second bike. Unfortunately DB are using similar hooks on their new intercity trains.

The new local trains have plenty of space, fortunately.

Some new local trains in the UK have pretty good cycle provision, such as the Stadler class 755s on Greater Anglia, but there is too much variation by train type and operator.

Some new local trains in the UK have pretty good cycle provision, such as the Stadler class 755s on Greater Anglia, but there is too much variation by train type and operator.

Interestingly, the local units here are the same Stadler trains, albeit built to a larger loading gauge. By the way, do the toilets work any better on the UK ones?

We also have franchising but it's done differently and local authorities have lots more say in provision. Among other things this means there's plenty of cycle provision.

Top Bottom