The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
IMG_20230220_173612.jpg

The disused line between Pill & Portishead, taken on tonight's commute.

I hope they produce 4,472 coins :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The funny thing about FS is that most people think of it as no. 4472, an apple green LNER A3 (with the distinctive "banjo" steam collector) It was never thus, only in the Alan Pegler preservation era, but that's how it is often remembered, in colour film at least.

It was an A1 from construction until after WW2, when it was rebuilt as an A3 while it carried Thompson-era running number 103. Then it became British Railways 60103.

The coin looks correct as it is a RHD loco (brake ejector pipe along RHS of boiler) and therefore still an A1.

The funny thing about FS is that most people think of it as no. 4472, an apple green LNER A3 (with the distinctive "banjo" steam collector) It was never thus, only in the Alan Pegler preservation era, but that's how it is often remembered, in colour film at least.

It was an A1 from construction until after WW2, when it was rebuilt as an A3 while it carried Thompson-era running number 103. Then it became British Railways 60103.

The coin looks correct as it is a RHD loco (brake ejector pipe along RHS of boiler) and therefore still an A1.
I concur, but the Apple Green/4472 is more iconic

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Engineering unit that has just gone through Ely station
IMG_20230222_123141098_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230222_123148312_HDR.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A few years ago I woke up on a Pacer at that platform. I'd fallen asleep on my way home from work and somehow been left alone after all the other passengers had got off, and the crew had switched the lights off and disappeared.

I once had a friend who was notorious for falling asleep on late-night trains. When the Channel Tunnel opened we firmly expected to get phone calls from Dusseldorf or some such.
When I regularly went drinking in London there was one train I hated to catch. First stop Stevenage. Next stop Edinburgh.

Top Bottom