The responsibilities of a taxi driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Report it to the Police, they will not do anything now but IF an altercation/collision happens in the future between you two then you have it on record that you raised concerns, thus proving that it was not a one-off. It genuinely pains me when I hear people like you going through this much stress when simply trying to cycle to school/work. It might even be worth taking a different route for a week or two and hope that this twat gives up. I know you shouldn't have to do it, but sometimes the bigger man is the man who takes evasive action, or changes his actions to prevent further damage. Good luck :smile:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It might even be worth taking a different route for a week or two and hope that this twat gives up. I know you shouldn't have to do it, but sometimes the bigger man is the man who takes evasive action, or changes his actions to prevent further damage. Good luck :smile:
Well I felt quite proud of myself and what I did in both situations. I ignored him and continued cycling. I didnt even feel like I was getting annoyed because I knew he was a knobber.

doctornige

A year + 3 months of riding. ZERO incidents. No, wait, ONE incident where the club was apparently road raged in an event I didn't even clock, and one person took on the driver despite me telling him to drop it.

I think that Matthew_T, though he be a fellow rider, should take a chill pill and understand that getting het up about all this will only shorten his life - either in 40 years due to cardiac failure, or in the next 5 days due to being run over by a f#%^{}d off driver.

400bhp

Guru
It sounds like the OP has made a name for himself in his home town, at the very least within the taxi firms.

Not good for many reasons.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A year + 3 months of riding. ZERO incidents. No, wait, ONE incident where the club was apparently road raged in an event I didn't even clock, and one person took on the driver despite me telling him to drop it.

I think that Matthew_T, though he be a fellow rider, should take a chill pill and understand that getting het up about all this will only shorten his life - either in 40 years due to cardiac failure, or in the next 5 days due to being run over by a f#%^{}d off driver.

It depends on what you call an incident, mind. You're almost certainly setting the bar much higher than most to be able to claim that with any honesty.

PK99

Legendary Member
It depends on what you call an incident, mind. You're almost certainly setting the bar much higher than most to be able to claim that with any honesty.

Conversely, Matthew has a history of setting the bar far too low.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Fair point. But my statistics contain things like people in the ASL, close passes, MGIF, SMIDSY's, and people who shout and point as they pass. Which is what most would ignore (which I do now).

Lets not dwell on the past. It has been a long time since I have had anything worth uploading and as such, my YT channel has become inviting. I have learned to ignore most incidents and incidences where I might get annoyed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

I agree, but it'd be better to help him learn how, rather than give him all the stick he has received here in the past. To give him his due, he's hugely better at judging things now than he was in the beginning.

Doctornige's comment, on the other hand, is hugely unhelpful IMO. I think it's just trying to say "look at what a good rider I am, and how crap young Matthew must be." To me, doctornige's comment just says "I ignore all misbehaviour and pretend it doesn't exist."

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Doctornige's comment, on the other hand, is hugely unhelpful IMO. I think it's just trying to say "look at what a good rider I am, and how crap young Matthew must be." To me, doctornige's comment just says "I ignore all misbehaviour and pretend it doesn't exist."
Thats what I thought. No matter where you are in the country or how good you think yourself of a rider, you must have seen at least one person roll into the ASL or pull out infront of you.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I wouldn't class ASL misuse as an incident.
Its illegal isnt it? I have been sat in it many time when a car (normally a taxi) just rolls into it, like it isnt there. Once (a long time ago) I mentioned it to a driver. I said that I wasnt having a go, just that he shouldnt be in it. He seemed to take on board what I said.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Referring to my comment above and what the taxi driver in this instance said about me being in the 'middle of the road', would it be wise meeting with the driver and calmly explaining myself?

Hip Priest

Veteran
Its illegal isnt it? I have been sat in it many time when a car (normally a taxi) just rolls into it, like it isnt there. Once (a long time ago) I mentioned it to a driver. I said that I wasnt having a go, just that he shouldnt be in it. He seemed to take on board what I said.

They certainly shouldn't be doing it, but it's a fairly minor infraction. Seeing someone doing it doesn't count as an 'incident' in my book. But we all have different standards. I certainly have had more incidents in the last 18 months than Doctor Nige.

Top Bottom